Submitted by Andreas Gustafsson, posted on November 29, 2000

Image Description, by Andreas Gustafsson

This is my first IOTD, it's nothing special, just a couple of screenshots from some of my small OpenGL programs. The reason I submitted this is that I have just put together a little webpage where all the OpenGL effects that I have entered into competitions like the Flipcode Coding Contest and the OpenGL challenge can be downloaded.

Most of the programs include sourecode, but I wouldn't recommend that anyone actually try to learn something from it, since my code isn't all that well-written or commented :)

Anyway, you can check it out at :

The Digital Bean

November 29, 2000, 02:34 AM

Very impressive stuff. Quite nice indeed.

Bemmu Sepponen

November 29, 2000, 02:46 AM

You've won quite a few competitions. Do you keep the prizes
in a safe or do you have them in a trophy cabinet?

DirtyPunk

November 29, 2000, 03:31 AM

Is it just me or does that pic in the bottom left look like a busty girl bending over? Probably just me :)

Looks great. Are those backgrounds noise?

Sdw

November 29, 2000, 03:50 AM

Thanks for your comments guys!

Never noticed the busty girl thing, but now that you mention it... :)

Not quite sure what you mean with "Are those backgrounds noise?" DirtyPunk?

thec

November 29, 2000, 04:01 AM

A note : don't you know which place your skydome made it on the flipcode contest?

Albert

nosebleed

November 29, 2000, 04:11 AM

It's just you. You and your dirty mind.

Sdw

November 29, 2000, 04:32 AM

Thec : Nope, no idea on what place it got. It wasn't among the top 3 though, so no need to mention it on my page anyway.. ;)

DirtyPunk

November 29, 2000, 05:48 AM

I meant noise generated textures in the background (perlin or otherwise :)

DirtyPunk

November 29, 2000, 05:49 AM

Shut your menstruating face :)

(#flipCode humour to the rescue :)

Jaap Suter

November 29, 2000, 05:52 AM

If that's what girls look like in Australia, I hope I'll never meet Candance (Dirtypunks girlfriend).

Hehe :)

Jaap Suter

DirtyPunk

November 29, 2000, 05:53 AM

You mispelled her name. Now she's going to beat you up. :)

Sdw

November 29, 2000, 05:55 AM

DityPunk : Ahh. ok, realtime gen. noise textures.. No, it's just plain old bitmaps that I load.

Jaap Suter

November 29, 2000, 05:56 AM

Then what is her name?

"Can-BustyGirlBendingOver-dace Stokes"

Hahaha,
sorry couldn't resist.

(No offence Candace, just some #flipcode humour)

Jaap Suter

DirtyPunk

November 29, 2000, 05:59 AM

Is that similar to

"Ja-BustyGirlBendingOver-ap SuperNesSuter"?

Conor StarfieldStokes

Jaap Suter

November 29, 2000, 06:03 AM

Exactly,

Starfield Stokes!!!!! :)

Long live #flipcode,

A final comment on the IOTD btw, which is what this forum is for (I thought):

"That tree rocks but would it be better to throw a little bit more randomization in it? It looks too much like a fractal (I think that's what you do, but now it's too obvious).

Then again, I could be wrong.

Samba de Amigo

nosebleed

November 29, 2000, 08:57 AM

You're probably wrong.

Sdw

November 29, 2000, 09:23 AM

Actually I think there is some level of randomization in it, but I had to keep it at a rather low level, or else the branches would eventually intersect and that looked crappy.
The base algorithm is a REAL simple recursive fractal-thing.
The thing is, that bush (and most of the other stuff I have done) is just thrown together in a couple of hours before the OGL Challenge deadline, so they are not as 'fine-tuned' as they could be.

Patrick Lönngren

November 29, 2000, 11:32 AM

Checked out your homepage. Pretty impressive stuff you've got there, not to mention your competitionhistory. I liked it - keep it up! (and I didn't find your code messy at all)

Wu-Fei

November 29, 2000, 03:30 PM

thats nice!whatd you make it in? 3D Studio Max?

Betelgeuse

November 29, 2000, 03:45 PM

Hey do we have ops in #flipcode yet?

Anyway, I just thought I'd lay my two cents...

Candace is like... my daddy... and Primey puts out... and Jaap runs with his stijwe pik against walls... and we must not forget [-becci-], him or her or what...

Well... greets from Xaewo I guess

(the screenshots look great... but isn't that DirtyPunk's mom in the bottom left... at least, the part of her that fits into one picture)

Jaap Suter

November 29, 2000, 04:09 PM

This is outreagous! You just can't do such a thing, chinpo.
You talking about ops on #flipcode, we need some ops on this forum!
Hahahahahahaha, I'm not even going to try to beat your comment. You won!

So let's all get together and start some Hotsefrollen.

Seeya,

Jaap Suter

p.s. Do grownups read this stuff too?

Slade

November 29, 2000, 05:42 PM

I HAVE to say BRILLIANT keep it up. Hope to see more pics soon? Goin to make a game with it.

DooMWiz

November 29, 2000, 05:57 PM

No wonder Kurt is ashamed of us...I know I'd be. ;-)

Jaap Suter

November 29, 2000, 06:11 PM

Me too.
Sorry Kurt. It won't happen again...

Samba De Amigo

Nurbs

November 29, 2000, 06:17 PM

Nice :-)

I downloaded some demos from your site, but there's a problem with the electric bolt demo: after quitting the process still exists and uses ~10 MB memory... The system is running Win2k and a TNT (Detonator 6.31).

How did you create the bolt? One (the only?) demo without source... :P

Sdw

November 30, 2000, 04:37 AM

Nurbs : Hmm.. That seems strange with the 10 mb process. You don't get that with any of the other demos? My guess then would be that it is the sound-player that messes up, since it's the only one (except laser turret) that uses sound.

OTri

November 30, 2000, 04:48 AM

Andreas is such a kickass coder... Just my 2Cents.

Nurbs

November 30, 2000, 09:45 AM

Not with the others I tried (including the laser turret demo). Oh, and if I try killing the process using the task manager, the task manager crashes, too. Luckily Windows closes both after some minutes. :-)

Nonetheless I'm interested in how you created the electric bolt effect. Would be nice if you could tell me how you did it.

Sdw

November 30, 2000, 10:02 AM

Hmm.. I don't understand what separates the Electric Bolt entry from the others. Very unfortunate, as that is the effect I'm going to turn into a screensaver (have gotten some requests for that).

As for how the bolt is made, it's very simple, just a couple of triangle-strips that are blended together.
You can get the source to a very early version of the effect from one of my first OGLChallenge entries (didn't bother to post it on my site since the new one is so much better). Check the 'my entries' link in my sig.

Nurbs

November 30, 2000, 12:45 PM

Thanks, I downloaded the Electricity demo. Same problem there, but this time I was able to fix it:

Put "PlaySound(NULL, NULL, 0);" in your Shutdown() function :P