Submitted by Jeff Gutierrez, posted on November 25, 2000

Image Description, by Jeff Gutierrez

This is a screenshot of a 3D object editor I'm writing, no official name yet, so far I've just decided to call it "thingy". I took a shot in wireframe mode because the current default textures are kind of crappy, but that will hopefully improve soon. You can also see one of my translucent dialog windows( ooohh eye candy...) open in the foreground.

Jeff Gutierrez
bytor@cfl.rr.com

The Wolf

November 25, 2000, 03:36 PM

Looks neat, early stages but I like the dialogue box

Jason Filsinger

November 25, 2000, 04:04 PM

Nice Work,

is it just for editing pre-made shapes or can you create your own with vertices?

I like the Dialog box!!!

keep up the good work.

Wouter

November 25, 2000, 04:53 PM

Yup, cool GUI.

I wish more people would research OpenGL (or other) GUIs... there's so many cool things you can do if you can redraw all elements 60x per second (and I am not talking eye candy, just functionality, smart resizing etc.)

Francis Shanahan

November 25, 2000, 06:24 PM

Nice going. Nice GUI. Do you have a website? I could use some of that GUI talent on my own tool (OGLM). Keep up the good work,
fs

//- Modelling and Animation in Every Dimension -//

Jumala

November 25, 2000, 06:56 PM

WOW! Ultra cool image! I made samething like that a while ago my self, but i am too lazy to finish my projects so i didn't get it too far.

But i have one question: how did you draw those dialogs, did you used polygons with textures or just some bitmap functions to draw them? If you used polygons with textures method then what do you do when a dialog goes to the front of the another dialog, Because you can't draw two 2d polygons to front of each other in OpenGL?

By the way, this is my first IOTD comment and hope you understood what i meant with this comment!

shrike

November 25, 2000, 08:21 PM

Jumala, that is a very silly question. All that using the 2d function does is set the z coordinate to zero. Simply use the 3d functions to have layers in 2d. Besides, just like any other 2d API on gods green earth, things get drawn in the order you specify.

I don't know but I am guessing that he used textures considering how horrible direct pixel drawing is on consumer cards. Maybe he doesn't have a consumer card though.

n!

November 25, 2000, 08:40 PM

Hmmm, I dont think there are any questions that are silly if you're asking because you don't know the answer.

If everyone answered 'that's a silly question' to every question you asked you'd soon be afraid to ask and that limits the amount you can learn.

Sorry about that ramble :)

Nice iotd, are you going to put it on the web? It's always nice to have a choice of editors when you're doing some graphics work :)

n!

Polygon

November 26, 2000, 07:04 AM

Nice... ;)

Søren Hannibal

November 26, 2000, 07:22 AM

I have a quick question - Why did you choose to do your own GUI while doing a 3d editor, instead of using something like MFC or C++ Builder's RAD features?

They look nice :-) But doesn't it slow down development of the editor quite a bit, and complicate debugging? Or did you already have the GUI from earlier projects?

davepermen

November 26, 2000, 07:53 AM

its quite easy to draw the windows in the right order, just disable depthtesting and draw them from back to front with glVertex2x(), you cant do it without sorting because its alphablended, as you possibly see...

(you can draw them with glVertex3x() anyways, but for what?!?!

DirtyPunk

November 26, 2000, 09:09 AM

Sometimes doing your own GUI for something like an editor is a good idea, IMHO. It gives you a more portable solution (complex GUI elements can make porting a nightmare at times).

And, not only that, you can do a better and more suitable GUI (not to mention better looking, possibly faster, and more integrated) for your application. A 3d modeller is actually the perfect example of where this is good :)

ironfroggy

November 26, 2000, 11:40 AM

Søren,

Maybe it's because using your own GUI looks cooler, windows sucks, and it makes the program easier to port.

Looks great doesn't it? :)

Jeff Gutierrez

November 26, 2000, 05:23 PM

To answer questions,

I did my own GUI because I was using GLUT and because I thought it would look cool. Unfortunately it did add a lot of time to development, the dialog boxes still need a lot of work, currently it's very hard to add buttons other than ok and cancel to them.

The dialogs are textures mapped onto polygons.

So far it just uses pre made shapes, but you can choose how many sides each shape has, how many polgons you want in your sphere for example. You can also flatten and twist the shapes.

I will probably make it available on the web but I still have a lot of work to do.