Submitted by cho han been, posted on November 22, 2000

Image Description, by cho han been

concept of complex character animation spec is designed in earily days in this year, I have just finished modeling and programming it. 3D model has 1505 vertex 2581 face, and use motion capure data via 3DS MAX. refer to left,leftup,leftdown image in 3D MAX ,and right dowm image in jindo3D. eyelid eyeball,eyebrows moving and lipsynk,finger,Linked item is enable. Compiled in C++ for win32. more scren shot of this or jindo3d just refer to http://jindo3d.dreamexe.co.kr

DirtyPunk

November 22, 2000, 03:04 AM

Cool. How do you get your motion capture data?

DirtyPunk

November 22, 2000, 03:05 AM

Just to clarify...

I know you said you used 3ds max to export it, but where did you get it from originally?

John van der Burg

November 22, 2000, 04:57 AM

Character studio has a lot of motion captured movements included with it.
And they are also free downloadable at the site of Viewpoint if I'm right.

However I think in the screenshots no motion captured data is used (at least no free .bip files), because the fingers seem to be
animated as well, and the free .bip files don't include finger animations.

- John

Cyble

November 22, 2000, 05:02 AM

Looks great ! I second dirtypunk's question, where did you get the motion capture data for 3dsmax and what kind of movement does the data contains ? What other movement does the character support besides eyelid eyeball, eyebrows moving, lipsync, finger ?

Also very cool you implemented lipsync. Looks like you use character studio for the overall movement and skinning joints ?

keep up the good work, hope you are going to use your skills for a game later on ?!

han been cho

November 22, 2000, 06:29 AM

character motion data is composed of five motion data.
total motion data is added in max's motion flow pannel.
fist motion data is done by our designer(including finger,eyeball,eyebrows),second data is converted bvh data(magnetic capture data),other is sample motion data.
max can convert bvh data to bip data.
bvh data is exported using like flimbox program in motion capture center.
and bip file can be added in motion flow pannel.
first motion data is maked to test facial controler is working right.
Any part of body can rotate,move as facial controler,as well as skinning joint.

shrike

November 22, 2000, 01:50 PM

I am sure that your motion capture works fine, but that is just about the ugliest model that I have ever seen. Use the colored primitive instead if you want advice.

Dan Brown

November 22, 2000, 02:04 PM

You think that's ugly? You haven't seen any of my models!

Seeya,

Dan

Ogotay

November 22, 2000, 02:15 PM

shrike, I read your other posts. If you don't have to say anything interesting/productive then just don't do.

The Wolf

November 22, 2000, 05:20 PM

using skeletal animation? looks like it.

booneo

November 22, 2000, 05:39 PM

Hehehe- that is the ugliest model i ever seen. It doesn't really show off the kind of technology you're talking about in Chinco 3d. Come on man, get wit' it =)

EGreg

November 22, 2000, 06:48 PM

Yeah, this is quite an ugly model. Maybe you could put it in as an undead character =P

But I'm sure your skeletal animation thing is much better... just get something to illustrate and sell your point :-)

-Greg

Bemmu Sepponen

November 23, 2000, 03:19 AM

Be careful, maybe the model is Cho Han Been himself!

klaudius

November 23, 2000, 06:37 AM

Is there an executable to download ? where ?
I would like to see all this in action.

Spark

November 23, 2000, 01:48 PM

I think this is as much intersting as most of the other topics like "It's great!" or "Good work, looks nice!". Why aren't people allowed to point out things that are bad?

Mark Friedenbach

November 23, 2000, 01:59 PM

There is such a thing as "constructive criticism", but saying something like "Geez, that's the ugliest model I've ever seen!" is just not helpful in any way.

Spark

November 23, 2000, 03:05 PM

except that he might use a nicer model next time...

Serpent Warrior

November 29, 2000, 01:20 PM

Yes, that is an ugly model. I think the thing that kills it most is the skin. It is to cartoony and no detail. I really don't see where the 1500 polys were spent.. granted, facial animations take up a lot of polys but I have detailed models ranging from 1200-1500 that are pretty detailed (muscle tone, detailed face, animateable mouth and hands, eyeballs are not animatable) with dynamic armor (I included the poly count for armor in there). It isn't the worst I have seen. If one of the modelers that worked with me handed that in.. there'd be some problems, like broken legs. The model looks decent but it definatly is the skin that is destroying it.