Submitted by Eric Undersander, posted on November 21, 2000

Image Description, by Eric Undersander

This is a shot from Hover, a racing game I started in May. I submitted a one-track demo to the Independent Games Festival back in September; since then the project has been on hold.

You can see more screenshots and download the demo here.

The terrain is a heightmap, created with my editor. Those little vehicles are hovercrafts, and I encourage you to try the demo, because their physical interaction with the terrain is probably the coolest aspect of the game.

Eric Undersander
eundersan@mail.utexas.edu

FragCool

November 21, 2000, 05:30 AM

Cool Shot

I will download the demo, and give it a try at home

Kurt Miller

November 21, 2000, 05:50 AM

The demo was really cool. Out of curiousity, why has the project been on hold? Do you plan to finish it? It looks to have quite a bit of potential.

My only suggestions would be to make the vehicles a little larger, and to position the camera a little differently so you can see more of the "track" ahead of you. As it is, the camera sort of feels like its looking down on the player. I think it'd be nice to offer just a bit more of what's visible in front of the player.

Anyway, great work. Good luck with the IGF, and I hope you continue with the project.

Cyble

November 21, 2000, 06:26 AM

Looks really cool !
Fog color is great, style is great, haven't seen
the demo yet, but I really think you should finish it !
2D HUD is real crisp and clear, does it deform well (when
scaling down) on lower resolutions or do you use different textures for each resolution ?

Jan Niestadt

November 21, 2000, 07:05 AM

Great demo, and it even runs smoothly on my Celeron 466 + Voodoo2! :-)

Mace

November 21, 2000, 07:34 AM

I love the look-and-feel of the gfx.
Will try it when i get home to my recently upgraded computer.

Jan Niestad: P3 750, GeForce :P

Isaack Rasmussen

November 21, 2000, 07:41 AM

Wow!!! That is a very accomplished demo.

The crafts has a great feeling over them.
I have one critic,I think that the camera could be a bit softer, I think that it maps to hard to the hovercar's movement.
My head stills hurts after been playing it for a couple of minutes.

But awesome demo!

Isaack

Isaack Rasmussen

November 21, 2000, 07:49 AM

Ohh yeah, another problem btw.

When I browsed through your data files, I noticed that you had this music track, hypnotic.wav.
It doesn't play on my computer, if I watch the rolling demo, the track starts right after all crafts have jumped over the first jump and the camera has moved behind them, but it stutters and "gives up" after a couple of seconds.

Ingame, no music at all.

I'm running on a,
P3-450
256MB RAM
32MB GeforceMX, 7.17 drivers
SBLive with the newest drivers
Win2K Pro, SP1

I've tried both D3D HAL and D3D TnL HAL.

Isaack

iCodeSuk

November 21, 2000, 09:08 AM

Was this game featured on demonews? I think it was. Anyway, when I did play it it was pretty darn cool esp. the crafts movement.

Jean-Francois Dube

November 21, 2000, 09:08 AM

Cool, it worked well on my system (Dual-PIII-450MHz/GeForce2). Great game. Now add some particle effects, like smoke or engine's fire! Also, it would be great to have the fog a little far away...

Deks

Jan Niestadt

November 21, 2000, 12:24 PM

I meant that even though the page lists a Voodoo3 or GeForce as required, it runs fine on my ancient Voodoo2..
:-)

Akira

November 21, 2000, 12:43 PM

Cool Demo!

But what's about some specials like afterburn, weapons and a multiplayermode?

Add this and the game will be much more funnier.

Akira

Metron

November 21, 2000, 02:13 PM

Great game... could be much fun in LAN or internet games...
You should try to continue the development...

Metron

ZEN

November 21, 2000, 02:17 PM

ran the demo on win2k+voodoo3, everything worked fine except the textures for the numbers showed up as white outlines, maybe a problem with the way you are handling trancparency in directx. the demo is very cool, but after playing it about 2 minutes i felt like puking, your camera needs to be lower and move more smoothly. also as others mention addding particle effects and bigger ships would help. the terrian needs a few more textures for variation. what you have is excellent work and a great start!

Vander Nunes

November 21, 2000, 02:25 PM

Very attractive, you should continue working on it.
I agree that the camera tracking could have some delay...
COOL game.

Mattman

November 21, 2000, 02:47 PM

Problem - I downloaded the demo, gave it a shot...about five seconds into the game an error message comes up, but I can't read it cause of DirectX, I only hear the "beep". I don't know what the problem is either. If I let the demo race run at the beginning without pressing any keys, the error occurs. If I try to play by skipping the demo race, I get the error. Any clues as to what the problem is?

Mattman

November 21, 2000, 02:51 PM

Ok, I figured out how to read the error message, and here's what it says:

Error: Unable to render terrain
Related error code: DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS

Press OK to exit Hover.

Eric Undersander

November 21, 2000, 03:31 PM

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Cyble, I use the same 2D images for all resolutions, and I don't scale them, so they appear larger at lower resolutions.

Isaack Rasmussen, sounds like a problem with my streaming sound... I added that very last-minute and I haven't tested it much.

Regarding everyone's complaints about the camera: My intitial idea for this game was an overhead-cam racing game. That has not proven to be very popular, hehe. I can't simply lower the camera and back up the fog, because the terrain rendering was designed to work with this overhead cam, not a first-person perspective (specifically the culling and LOD). I actually really like the overhead-cam, and maybe it would work if I changed the game objective to stunts/tricks/exploring (which is what I usually end up doing when I play the demo anyway).

Densun

November 21, 2000, 05:07 PM

VERY fun. I'll be playing this for sometime to relax after school and work.

There was a problem with one thing. Large triangles would go dark in the vicinity I was in. I'm not sure what the video card is since it's a school computer (I think it's a TNT2). I was in Direct3D with simple shadows.

mice

November 21, 2000, 05:43 PM

Really clean, fun and hypnotic kid of game, and I did like the overhead cam!

Opcode

November 21, 2000, 11:33 PM

Excellent Game! You definatly need to start working on this again. Mabey make port it over to the X-Box when I comes out and earn a little $$$. :)

Sordith

November 22, 2000, 03:32 AM

Nice game. I've enjoyed it for a while now, after seeing a post on gamedev.net.

One quick question. I noticed (on your page) that the polycounts are higher at the base of 'hills' and the peaks of 'hills'. Is this because of the hightfield or the rendering method? I'm currently working on a terrain generation program and am looking at other techniques for ideas.

Sordith

Eric Undersander

November 23, 2000, 04:19 AM

Sordith, the terrain is forced to go to maximum LOD (smallest tris) along the border between dirt and sand, because I only do the dirt/sand blend on the smallest tris. I didn't anticipate that the ground would switch from sand to dirt so often, and so this really turned into a major flaw of the terrain rendering.

Btw, To those of you who've emailed me questions, I'll try to get back to you next week... I'm away from my home computer for the holiday. Also, don't feel obligated to report to me about errors you received running the demo... if I ever get serious about finishing Hover, I'll release a version that gives me a lot more feedback/details from testers' crashes.