Submitted by Peadar_Coyle, posted on November 18, 2000

Image Description, by Peadar_Coyle

Here is a pic of a new game in early development for the PC using Open GL so tell me what you think collision detection has been added and a few new textures this is an Apocalypse Now! Production not much features yet haven't decided what to use

Yours Sincerely Peadar Coyle

Slade

November 18, 2000, 12:40 PM

Here it is I need people to help me a very early demo of a game set in School

bit64

November 18, 2000, 02:51 PM

Who needs punctuation right?
Nice screenshot, going to download the demo now. What are you using for character animation?

Julio

November 18, 2000, 06:08 PM

pretty smooth demo. that's the first demo/anything 3d I've seen using Dark Basic. It's actually not as bad as I thought it was. way to go!

Slade

November 19, 2000, 05:12 AM

The game was oringinally done in Dark Basic but I moved it to C++ and Open GL

Wayne Marsh

November 19, 2000, 10:30 AM

Is it just my connection, or is the demo posted on your site not actually there?

Are you using Glut or native Win32 routines for your code??

Wayne Marsh

November 19, 2000, 10:32 AM

Oh, and why did you decide to move from Dark Basic to C++?

Slade

November 19, 2000, 10:54 AM

I moved from Ddark Basic to C++ and Native Win 32 code because I wanted to I thought that C++ would be better as Open GL is cross Platform and the main reason networking. I should have another demo in a months time hopefully with enemies. This is at a very early stage

David Frey

November 19, 2000, 11:16 AM

But the demo I downloaded says it was made with Dark Basic, and it uses DirectDraw and Direct3D. So what is the state of the C++, OpenGL build?

Slade

November 19, 2000, 11:24 AM

Well that oringinal demo was in Direct 3d but I needed a cross platform the Open GL one is going well enough the engine is about 50% complete if anyone knows any free ones please tell me so I can get this on a little quicker the team only has 3 members 2 programmers and one artist who also does the music. So if anyone can help please do so. Check my site reguraly http://www.gameprogramming.co.uk

Wayne Marsh

November 19, 2000, 11:35 AM

Hm.
Was it easy to convert between Dark Basic and C++? I'm not at all familiar with DB, but it seems to me that they have written extremely high-level functions for dealing with 3D and initialisation etc. so you can build a game quickly. Did you write the C++ equivalent of these functions when converting, or did you rework the entire engine from scratch?

Slade

November 20, 2000, 04:31 PM

I worked the entire engine from scratch a very long exercise