Submitted by Tobi Vollebregt, posted on November 15, 2000

Image Description, by Tobi Vollebregt

This is a screenshot of my tank game, created in DJGPP with Allegro 3.9.12 (WIP). (I don't know whether or not you know about these but when you don't have a look at www.delorie.com/djgpp and www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro )

A short time ago I added a lighting system, which is based on a binary lighting tree for each tile. I think I can't tell anything more about it here, so if you want to see the code, try out the exe, please mail me. (you'll find a bit older version at www.mrdevlin.50megs.com ) I'll send you a better description of this nice tilemap lightingsystem.

Tobi Vollebregt
jvollebregt@noknok.nl

Paul

November 15, 2000, 11:46 AM

That looks like a fun game! Nice!

Cybok^Guideline

November 15, 2000, 12:02 PM

oldskool style, hehe, reminds me of.....:)
no, but seriously, it looks cool

Lourens Veen

November 15, 2000, 12:10 PM

Well done! Wish I had made such a game...

Rui Martins

November 15, 2000, 01:08 PM

Nice Picture/Game.

What is the goal ?

Just funny shooting them all Up, and blow them to bits, or is there a mission(s) ?

See ya

MK42

November 15, 2000, 01:19 PM

Oh, that reminds me of a game I once played ... can't remember the name of it, though. Two players played against each other. You could choose between three tanks ... light, medium and heavy. Each tank had certain advantages/disadvantages (slow, but firepower, etc...).

You started in your base and had to capture the enemy flag. It was frenzy ... it was fun ... it was cool.

So, the screenshot looks like similar 2-player fun :)

Keep it up,

Marco

PS: Does it 'really' say 5 FPS in the upper left? Probably because of those big transparent explosions...

Khrob

November 15, 2000, 01:24 PM

There was a little network game on the mac... what was it?????

Bolo!!!!

that's the one! damn that was fun!

Khrob

November 15, 2000, 01:25 PM

Great shot too, btw!

DarkReaper

November 15, 2000, 04:07 PM

Look nice! I can't wait to get home to try it out(school is paranoid about downloads). I did notice the 5 FPS in the top left...that seems a bit low isn't it? What were the system specs of the computer it was running on?

Nathand

November 15, 2000, 04:50 PM

Tobi,

That is totally kool!! Way to go!!! I'm glad people are still programming in djgpp!!! I'm especially impressed
with the blending effects you've got going on!!!! I know how hard that was in dos.... especially being restricted
to 256 colors (are you using a palette?), all those color look up tables....its quite an accomplishment =).
Sounds interesting with your binary lighting tree, although my first inclination was overkill for a tiling engine......
but its good you have some kind of spatial database going anyways.

Keep up the good work.... stay in dos as long as you possibly can!!! All good things come from it =)

MK42: Are you refering to my game Hong Pong? You've described it perfectly..... if your not, try it out, its like
exactly what you described 8) http://www.firetoads.com/hp.htm .

-Nathan d'Obrenan

Chad Austin

November 15, 2000, 06:26 PM

Firepower! I remember that game!

shawge

November 15, 2000, 06:28 PM

That game was Firepower (for the PC.) In fact, I still have it somewhere on one of by backup CDs. Some of the other cool things:
- You could blow up walls and buildings.
- Enemy turrents and helicopters tried to destroy you.
- After blowing up a building, some enemy people start running about. You can then try to run them over >:> ::splat::
- You could also save the POWs to get extra points.
- You had to watch your fuel. Shooting at a fuel depot or returning to base refuled your tank.

Very fun game.

EGreg

November 15, 2000, 07:43 PM

Wow, I'm really impressed!... and glad... that someone is using Allegro and going to www.flipcode.com besides me :-)

y'see, Allegro is a cool game programming library taht is on many computers! Like Crystal Space! Shawn Hargreaves (www.talula.demon.co.uk) started it... and now it has a community of people working on it and using it for games.

Check out www.allegro.cc, the "Allegro Games Depot" to see some games made with Allegro.

Yeah, it can't do 3D acceleration and all that jazz, but you can make nice old skool games with it... great for starting out with graphics, and you don't have to know C++...
Anyway, enough advertisement; I just wish you guys would know about Allegro because it's free and because that's how I started out programming games... well, a bit before that I tried to write to VGA memory myself.

Allegro is a game programming library, that takes care of graphics, sound and input for ya.

Sincerely,
Greg

PS: Really nice game! When is it coming out...? ;-)

Jäger

November 15, 2000, 10:15 PM

Hey, if you want some prerendered 3D art for that I'm sure I could help. I haven't seen such a cool looking top down shooter in ages. E-mail me at jager@z.com if you want me to do some prerendered stuff. Very nice looking engine btw =)

Shriek

November 15, 2000, 11:56 PM

Reminds me of the game Grand Theft Auto. Keep up the good work!

bit64

November 16, 2000, 12:24 AM

Awesome screenshot:

Are the tanks semi-transparent? They seem to be.
I know it's been asked, but what's with the 5fps?
I guess I don't see where the lighting is taking place. Can you post a comment explaining that? And how are you handling lighting in 2D?

Tobi Vollebregt

November 16, 2000, 07:42 AM

The game was running on a Cyrix 233 with 64Mb of RAM without any hardware acceleration. The 5 fps is the real number, but the game is so slow because there are transparent explosions and transparent smoke. The goal of the game is to destroy the enemy tank. You can capture turrets and other such things.
The lighting system is based on a binary tree for each different tile. I have a lightmap as big as the map (in tiles). When I draw a tile, I look at the lightmap and at the tilemap to find out which tile should be drawn in which lighting color. Then I'll look in the lighting tree to find a corresponding bitmap for the color. When this one doesn't exist, I'll make him. And so I light each tile only one time with each color. (the game runs in 15/16/24/32 bits per pixel)
Tobi

Tobi Vollebregt

November 16, 2000, 04:53 PM

I wrote my first answer a bit in a hurry, and so I forgot something to say. First, the version of the game on www.mrdevlin.50megs.com is an older version, if you want the newest version, just mail me and I'll send you my game. Second, when you want a bit longer and better explanation of the lighting system I used, mail me. Third, when you know a simple but powerfull system to create AI tanks in my game, mail me.
This are the newest features:
- Gouraud shading lighting trees (useless, uses very much mem, but looks nice)
- Anti-aliased lightmap

Mace

November 17, 2000, 03:46 AM

MK42:
The game is called Return Fire :)
RF2 was released 2 years ago... try it out.. its very fun against a friend.

Jolle

November 18, 2000, 05:25 PM

Yeah! I remember it to!! I have an amiga version of it somewhere...
// Jolle - have fun, blow some tanks!

kusma

November 18, 2000, 06:20 PM

I use djgpp also! The best compiler for dos. :) Well anyway, I THINK you should manage to gaet WAY better framerates than 5 fps using transparency. Try writing your own asm blending function... well anyway. I think your game looks awesome, It's great when people create games in the oldschool style, instead of following the flow..