Submitted by Brian Gantt, posted on October 24, 2000

Image Description, by Brian Gantt

Here's some screen shots from the latest beta/demo of my game Remote Assault. The top left shows the full interface with 5 tanks moving in wedge formation. The top right shows some tanks and APVs escorting a supply truck through a mountain pass. The bottom two shots are battle scenes between several tanks, APVs and Walker units.

Some game features:
  • Real time play
  • Chain of command AI(Groups, squads, units)
  • True line of sight for all units
  • Detailed damage modeling
  • Single play vs the computer, or multiplayer vs. humans over a LAN or the
  • Internet
  • Note that while its real-time, the game has been designed to play more like a wargame than a RTS. If you would like to check it out further go to www.onegames.com

Brian Gantt
    bgantt@onegames.com

Isaack Rasmussen

October 24, 2000, 01:55 PM

Hey,

I downloaded your game, read the readme.txt and hoped for the best, as I run Win2K... well, I think that your game have some problems with Win2K.

You must be doing some crazy stuff, my Win2K usually runs D3D stuff.
    Anyway, when reaching the mainscreen, the millitary music plays, you can hear some click-noises and after a while all music stops and the mousecursor starts leaving trails behind it, as if you are not clearing the screen anymore.
    It continues to do so, into game - though, only on the menues.

34 pages! Wow, I'm impressed by the lenght of the manual you wrote,

Isaack

Marius

October 24, 2000, 03:20 PM

Wow! Reminds me of the military simulators you see on T.V. every now and then. It's not overly detailed or "high tech", and I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about the feel of it that really grabs me! (and that's just from the screenshots - I haven't played the demo). Excellent!

Francois Hamel

October 24, 2000, 03:32 PM

Nice work!
    I was wondering...what technique did you use for your terrain engine?
    The graphics are OK but with todays game who cares about graphics they all look alike anyway....maybe adding a simple skybox could improve the realism though (thus eleminating the black fog which is very uncommon in real life :))

Keep up the good work

Mark Friedenbach

October 24, 2000, 03:54 PM

Wow. Nice work.

Reminds me of the late Golgotha project by crack.com. Too bad no one really picked up the code they released.

z66831

October 24, 2000, 05:49 PM

All *kinds* of people with commercial projects picked up the code... they just don't advertise that fact. :)

-z

Bri

October 24, 2000, 11:01 PM

Thanks for comments,

In reply,

>I was wondering...what technique did you use for your terrain engine?
    Terrain engine is a straight 1 LOD square grid. The textures are tiled and the Vertex color and specular are used to show the height elevation, and visibility for each game square.

>adding a simple skybox could improve the realism though.
    I'm going for feel of a military terminal in the near future. In keeping with that I tried to make the graphics more functional than flashy. I've played around with a skybox but it seams a bit out of place. Also usually the best way to play the game is from a more birds eye perspective, where you wouldn't see the skybox anyway.

>Reminds me of the late Golgotha project by crack.com.
    Funny you should mention that, I did take a few sounds and textures from the Golgotha source, but none of their code.

Mark Friedenbach

October 25, 2000, 01:34 AM

Heh, I wasn't accusing you of "barrowing" their code or anything, just noted the similarity between the gameplay you described and what crack.com was promising for their killer-game-of-the-decade. (in fact, just from these images alone I can tell that your rendering engine is quite a bit different from theirs).

I think it's good to see attempts made at revolutionizing the RTS genre. I personally was looking forward to Golgotha - thinking that it would bring about a new era in RTS gaming. Saddened me quite a bit when I heard they went under.