Submitted by Vander Nunes, posted on October 20, 2000

Image Description, by Vander Nunes

A mix of screenshots from my upcoming game system, the TINY engine. Actually the work is on the early stages, but I felt somewhat anxious to hear from this refined community what do you think about it as it is just now (very simple, I know). I will be glad to see some comments.

Maybe it sounds a little biased, but I must say that this sample doesn't show it's real capabilities. The real demo will be ready within 30-45 days from now.

The system will feature seamless indoor/outdoor scenery and advanced game entities, particle systems, etc.

Features already implemented:
  • Direct 3DSMAX scene/model exporting including correct multi/sub materials, lights, cameras, textures (with auto-conversion) and geometry -- with immediate preview;
  • Tunable raytraced lightmaps with phong shading and shininess;
  • Saving/loading of preprocessed scene to/from compressed cabinet file (using Microsoft's free cab library - works but is provisory);
  • Adjustable octree subdivision with fast frustrum culling;
  • Adjustable ellipsoidal collision detection (octree aware);
  • Multiple origin/target cameras;
  • Support for keyboard, mouse and VFX-3D helmets through DirectInput and retouched code fragments from IISVR;
  • Vertex buffered Direct3D rendering;
  • Quake2 animated models (works well but is provisory);
  • Small executable, small scene file, no external dependencies (being designed with web in mind);
  • Average good oop with separated Core/Windows modules.
  • The first preliminar preview is available at [http://planeta.terra.com.br/informatica/tiny]

ref_cracker

October 20, 2000, 01:46 AM

Looking good so far!
    Lightmaps look good but I think it could use a little tweaking so that the transition from shadowed areas to lit ones is a little softer in the corners. Looks like you could have something pretty sweet once you get some real detailed art work in there. Looking forward to the next demo shots! Keep up the good work.

The Wolf

October 20, 2000, 01:50 AM

refined community? us? why thank you :)

very nice work, that first picture (top-level), that does not look like a lightmap generated shadow, is it, or dynamic?

Invhunter

October 20, 2000, 02:51 AM

Nice work! Keep on going.....!

Chris McGuire

October 20, 2000, 03:23 AM

Hey, where'd you get that character model? Looks a little like Jack the Ripper from Powerstone! Also the rest looks really cool.

Phil Carlisle

October 20, 2000, 06:22 AM

BE interested to hear how you handle indoor/outdoor transitions?????

Also, how do you handle collision detection for the transition?

But certainly looks nice. Q2 characters would probably best be replaced with some form of skeleton system (perhaps the discreet code?) rather than the Q2 stuff.

Only suggestion: put in shadows on the character, it helps place them "in" the scene. I'm sure youve got that in mind eventually tho.

Phil.

simi

October 20, 2000, 07:04 AM

Nice images ;) Keep working and I think you'll have a winner.

Vander Nunes

October 20, 2000, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the nice comments!

ref_cracker: I'll reactivate the download link on my page as soon as I fix an obvious bug that is making the demo crash at initialization on almost all cards. Shame on me.

The Wolf: I'm implementing dynamic lights, but actually this shot is static. It seems like dynamic in this shot because the way the plugin exports the scene (retaining tex mapping fidelity). This is interesting because you see "complex" texture mapped static objects.

Chris McGuire: I don't remember from where I downloaded, but it's from Pestilence (psychosis-studios.com).

Phil Carlisle: Maybe I should not comment about it today because I'm trying it yet. I will try to publish an article about "my" idea as soon as I get it working (I quote "my" because I don't know if someone else did it in the same way, and probably did :). The idea came to bright when I stopped thinking about indoor->outdoor structures and started thinking about outdoor->indoor structures. Hope this makes sense. Tiny "universe" hierarchy starts as outdoor, and indoors are "found" in the course of traversal. BTW, altough a terrain can be rendered as a simple heightfield, you can have a parent quad/octree that says: here we have a heightfield (outdoor), here a building (indoor), here a car (entity) and you're currently here, inside this building...

And for the rare pals that didn't read yet, the ellipsoid algorithm is from a great article from Paul Nettle published here, at flipcode.

Dominic

October 20, 2000, 09:13 AM

Looks awesome!
    I love the shadows -- how do you do them?!

malkia/eastern.analog

October 20, 2000, 09:53 AM

Where to look for CAB files usage?
    How to use them, how to add something to CAB file and so on?

I was using ZLIB till now, but CAB files are better,
    because you don't need to put your ZLIB sources into
    code you distribute

bit64

October 20, 2000, 10:49 AM

Very impressive. What is especially impressive to me is that you could make sense out of Paul's ellipsoid collision detection tut.
    (Just kidding)

Anyway, I have but one question, is that a textured picture hanging on the wall? Or is that a window to an outdoor environment? I am assuming its just a texture mapped block hanging on the wall.

Also, how do you generate lightmaps? I mean in general, so anybody can answer this for me, but lightmaps have me stumped.

Great work, looking forward to your demo.

Vander Nunes

October 20, 2000, 03:14 PM

malkia: Please search for "CABSDK" from the MS site or Altavista.

Dominic/bit64: There are many tutorials about lightmap generation, including here at flipcode (more than one I think).

Basically you need to implement a raytracer. A raytracer get shadows "for free".

for (each face in the scene)
    {
    determine a lumel position LUM
    for (each light in the scene)
    {
    if LUM is visible from this light
    {