Submitted by Serge, posted on October 16, 2000

Image Description, by Serge

Hi all,

this is a screenshot of my entry for the shadows & lights contest. It uses shadow volumes & the stencil buffer for shadow rendering. There's also a simple particle thingy flying around. I don't have the demo somewhere on the web, but it will probably show up on the contest page in a couple of days (just in time for the deadline... hehehe!)

--Serge

Raspberry

October 16, 2000, 04:59 AM

Nice one. Is there any bump mapping on the tiles? Or is it my imagination?
Only one gripe though... The bell doesn't look like it's made of metal? But I must admit, I haven't seen many bells that are shiney anyway, so ignore me ;-)

richard

October 16, 2000, 05:40 AM

Yummie, looks good! :)

Ingenu

October 16, 2000, 07:01 AM

It must be awesome in motion !
(okay if it's fast :op )

Invhunter

October 16, 2000, 11:52 AM

the screenshot looks nice! I haven't checked out the program, because i am on work, but it should be good too.
I will check it out on an athlon 1000 and an geforce, so wait for my performance-info.....

The Wolf

October 16, 2000, 02:07 PM

sweet, very nice, unfortunately I got a RIVA TNT2 16MB (no stencil buffer) so the demo does not work for me, BTW, anyone knows a good deal on GeForce 256?

Breaker

October 16, 2000, 02:40 PM

hmm, i believe that all NVIDIA cards since the TNT have stencil buffer support ...
IIRC it's only supported when you run in 32 bpp mode.

bit64

October 16, 2000, 05:40 PM

Are those tiles on the floor rippled? If so, what technique did you use to achieve that?

Looks very nice by the way.

9600man

October 17, 2000, 05:45 AM

i don't think the tiles are rippling. if you look closely you'll see its just the texture which looks like that, and add to that the shadows and then add to that the aliasing on the tiling gives that illusion.
other wise i don't think its a ripple effect. if it is, my mistake. but why oh why would a floor ripple like that? would be cool though if it did, with a matrix like theme to it. Nothing is real, its all an illusion.

Cheers

Invhunter

October 17, 2000, 09:04 AM

It works fine and smooth on an athlon with gforce! Fast enough for everyone!

The Wolf

October 17, 2000, 11:52 AM

You're right!! I never tried it with 32-bit before, it worked nicely...

Thanks