Submitted by David Karlsson, posted on October 12, 2000

Image Description, by David Karlsson

this is a screenshot from my contribution to the lights & shadows contest. The scene might not be the most interesting - only an enviroment maped statue and some pillars, but it took many night to get everything working so I'm very satisfied with the result.

It's coded in C++ using OpenGL and I'm using shadow volumes to render the shadows so it requires a stencil buffer to run.

Well, please download the demo and see for yourself... (Contest Page)

// Spark

Paul Kinlan

October 12, 2000, 04:15 PM

I must say that looks very pro.. keep up the work

Spark

October 12, 2000, 04:26 PM

NOTE, It may not run correctly on non-geforce cards, but try.

The Wolf

October 12, 2000, 04:32 PM

looks nice! is it me or do I see curves? better try the demo, hope it works on TNT2 16mb

David Frey

October 12, 2000, 05:27 PM

I can't get it to show shadows on a TNT. (Which does have a stencil buffer.) :(

MgFun

October 12, 2000, 06:38 PM

Nice screenshot... On my Voodoo3 and Win2k i get one lage black shadow (Or screen :-)

richard

October 13, 2000, 12:19 AM

Very nice! :P

btw. Since it uses the stencil buffer you'll need to switch to 32 bit mode first.

malkia/eastern.analog

October 13, 2000, 03:59 AM

probably stencil will not appear if you try the demo in 16bit,
I'll get the demo now and try on my computer, shots look fine.

Spark

October 13, 2000, 04:07 AM

I'm sorry if it doesn't work. I send my demo to a friend when it was finished, and he told me he couldn't see any shadows. So I spend a hole day changing and rewriting anything that may have caused this. But I never found anything that fixed the problem. But it sounds like it's some problem with the stencil buffer, well I hope that most of you can view it correctly.

Spark

Francis Shanahan

October 13, 2000, 09:41 AM

Indeed, Voodoo 1,2,3 don't support stencil buffers hence I like to steer clear of them ( the buffers, not the cards ). One way to remedy this is to re-write the entire project in Glide instead of OpenGL. Sorry but that's 3dfx for you.

fs

David Frey

October 13, 2000, 11:34 AM

Nope, no shadows on TNT in either 16 or 32 bpp modes. Other stencil shadow demos I have still work fine so it is not a driver issue. You must have either used a GeForce specific extension or you improperly set up the rasterizing state (like using something in a glBegin/glEnd pair you shouldn't have).