Submitted by Jeff Voigt, posted on October 11, 2000

Image Description, by Jeff Voigt

Here are a few screen shots from my skydome I have been working on lately. So far so good :) What do you all think???

TopLeft: Sunrise
TopRight: Day
BottomLeft: Sunset
BottomRight: Night

Jeff Voigt
jvelite@earthlink.net

Arn

October 11, 2000, 02:35 PM

Wow, those are *nice* clouds! Are those generated or just a static bitmap?

Arn
arn@blackboxgames.com

jvelite

October 11, 2000, 02:44 PM

Just a static bitmap tiled across the whole sky.

Kurt Miller

October 11, 2000, 02:53 PM

How did you generate the static bitmaps? A graphics package? They look excellent, imo.

Countach

October 11, 2000, 03:12 PM

Excellent...

How many poly's did you use for the skydome?

Megahertz

October 11, 2000, 03:29 PM

Looks great! Do you plan on releasing a demo? I notice that you have both day and night shots, does your code cycle between day and night automagicaly?

Megahertz

Marius

October 11, 2000, 04:10 PM

Very nice! Where'd you get the images? I've been looking for some good ones. The only issue I see is that the sun in the upper left picture seems to be in front of the clouds.

jvelite

October 11, 2000, 04:19 PM

I will feature a demo on my site www.elitefreeware.com in a day or so. CHECK IT DAILY. The demo is really sweet. And yes, it does cycle between day and night .. whoa...

Jeff Voigt
AKA: Mongoose

Lourens Veen

October 11, 2000, 04:20 PM

Yeah, the sun looks more like a thermonuclear explosion....oh wait, it IS a thermonuclear explosion. Well anyway, it doesn't look quite right. If you look into the sun the entire sky should be lit up. Perhaps you could change the colour of the vertices of your skydome depending on their proximity to the sun?

fluffy

October 11, 2000, 04:42 PM

Jeeze, Kurt, ever heard of a scanner? ;)

jvelite

October 11, 2000, 05:02 PM

Also the total number of polygons is very low. I get about 60 or so FPS.

You will all see soon... just check out my site... and it will be on there for download.

Oscar Rydberg

October 11, 2000, 05:04 PM

The direct impression is great, it's when You start analyzing deeper You find the flaws, as always.

I believe this would make a pretty neat sky where the main focus in on something else than the sky. The skydome gives a nice atmosphere and feeling to the whole scene!

Lourens:

To which picture are you referring when You mention that the whole sight would be all bright when looking at the sun?

If You refer to the sunrise:
As You can easily (not in Scandinavia these days though - too many clouds) experience, the sunset and sunrise decrease the brightness impact of the sun.

Jeff:

Why not implement scattering of the sun rays? (Blue light waves are scattered all over the sky due to the frequence compared to particles in the atmosphere) And the red color is the least scattering...

This makes it very easy to do "automatic" transitions day/night with great sunsets and sunsets.

bit64

October 11, 2000, 05:11 PM

Hate to argue, but looking directly at the sun would certainly NOT brighten the whole sky. In fact, if we must be this analytical, it would indeed darken the whole sky.

In fact, looking directly at the sun would burn out your retinas too, do you think you could implement that in your skydome Jeff? That would be great.

Navreet Gill

October 11, 2000, 05:38 PM

hehe, what that you go blind if you keep looking at the skydome for five minutes?? what about this scenario... near sunset, very dark clouds looming overhead... but the sun only lightened the clouds that were either closer to the sun or really far away... the middle clouds seemed unaffected. That's just what I saw the other day... should've taken a picture, so I could try to implement it in a skybox... when I start writing one... I am a newbie by the way, there is a tut on flipcode, anyone know any other cool tuts on skyboxes? lemme know!

Cheers
Navreet

Kurt Miller

October 11, 2000, 05:42 PM

Here's an animated skybox tutorial by Tom Nuydens:

Michael Kurth

October 11, 2000, 05:44 PM

Darken the sky? If you were to look at the sun your pupils would narrow and let less light in, but I assure you the sky does not change at all.

More to the point the brightness of the sky is directly related to how much of the planet around you the sun is illuminating. If the sun is directly overhead at "12 noon" it will be illuminating the maximum amount of the planet around you as it can. If the sun is setting there will be very little direct sun light and the entire sky will be dim. Not only that, but you *can* look at a setting sun. You guys should go outside and try it sometime ;-)

The top left picture looks like a 'setting sun' shot. I agree that the big yellow dot looks out of place, but the sky should not be brighter - the sun should be orange/red and much lower, just dipping below the horizon.

Note that I said 'how much of the planet around you the sun is illuminating' because other planets/moons/huge mother ships, etc, can obstruct the light rays and stop any light from getting to the planet, in a more general sense the amount of light is related to the angle of the sun, where 90 degrees overhead is the maximum brightness.

Chiguire

October 11, 2000, 06:22 PM

Besides the others comments, the sun should be a sphere with some black things around, you could use some of the photos in www.space.com, they are sweet.... btw, great looking skydome!!!!!

Jon Creighton

October 11, 2000, 06:48 PM

That looks fantastic, are you using non-linear texture coordinates (I've used a tangent formula) to compress the texture near the horizon? I'm looking forward to seeing the demo.

jvelite

October 11, 2000, 07:51 PM

You can now download the demo at

www.elitefreeware.com

Please email me there and let me know what you think after you run it.

Also, it was developed using OpenGL so make sure you have a card that supports it, otherwise it will be slow.

Thankx,

Jeff Voigt

StrongBow

October 11, 2000, 09:00 PM

BLAH!BLAH!BLAH!
it cerntly is the best lookin skydome i've seen on IOTD

StrongBow

October 11, 2000, 09:02 PM

bad spelling :) Certainly is

malkia/eastern.analog

October 11, 2000, 09:53 PM

it's natural looking - like photo!

one of the best demo i've seen was from Hugo Elias

you can check it here

"TGLTLSBFSSP: The good-looking textured light-sourced bouncy fun smart and stretchy page"

and the demo itself

bit64

October 12, 2000, 12:27 AM

Great demo!
very beautiful

I am noticing some seams in teh cloud textures, especially visible at hour 19. Doesnt detract from the beauty of the demo, but I thought you may want to know about it.

RJ

October 12, 2000, 12:43 AM

DAMN, nice demo, I like ur moon:), the clouds look amazingly real. Ive been thinking about adding a sky dome, could u put some code up, or explain how u do it, cause it looks GREAT, nice job, later,

Lucid

October 12, 2000, 12:47 AM

after a while of running it though, I noticed that the sun started "rising" a night... oh well, looked nice...

Lourens Veen

October 12, 2000, 01:18 AM

Yeah, I was referring to the top-left picture. It somehow looked somewhat abnormal to me. I think you're right in that the sky should be more red, and I think that that's better than my suggestion. It's just that as it is the sun doesn't look very realistic to me. Perhaps we just have weird suns here in Holland :-) Also as you say the sun should be lower, and how about some cloud lighting effects?

As for the demo, I don't have Windows so I can't try it...

malkia/eastern.analog

October 12, 2000, 03:07 AM

Jeff: i've downloaded the demo, and i find it good looking.
Can I use freely from your datafiles bitmaps for clouds?

malkia

Mace

October 12, 2000, 03:09 AM

Nice, i like it.
The lower screens reminds me of the skies in UT.

One question. Is the star texture layer tiled or stretched?
It looks hi-res... and the coulds too.

bit64: lol!

Antonio Lattanzio

October 12, 2000, 04:54 AM

Yo,
Really good job!!

When u whatch to horizon, you could make a cool effect like in Quake III Arena, so make your skydome so cute! :)
(someone here knows how Q3A sky deformation works?)

Another thing... i think that you should insert a great lenz flare to make the sun better. One of the best flares i saw around was programmed in Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast... take a look at it. I remember that there's a big ring that scales when u look to the sun, and becomes lighter (to make the light blinding effect)
It should be simple to code, i guess.. :P

LaterZ,

Thad

October 12, 2000, 05:01 AM

This seems on-topic, please forgive me if you don't agree.

Three late evening sun set photos, taken by myself, for reference, or use in your own work.

Cloud texture (detail):

"Tall" area (includes silouted roof line):

"Wide" area (includes silouted tree, & roof line):

The last one makes a greak desktop backdrop.

I my opinion photo.net is a great resource for artists looking for reference material.

Thad