Submitted by Tim Soliday, posted on October 10, 2000

Image Description, by Tim Soliday

Here is something a little different from what you are use to seeing on IOTD. I decided to take a break from 3D programming and make some everyday utilities/applications in DirectX to refresh my brain, and for a little jump start. This is my media player paused on one of the scenes in Halo. 80% of the functionality is in place and working perfect. The only thing missing here is a remote control that will have open/save as file, volume settings, resizing, and the existing buttons that you see. The final version will be in window's mode and skinned. The movie will fit the playing screen in the final version.

I am putting up a site pretty soon that will have the exe and the source code.

Thanks to Flipcode for the tutorials on Directshow, I was running into a memory issue in my code and looked at the tutorials to fix it. For the graphics I used Adobe Photoshope 5.5.

Tim Soliday aka vhalik

Jeroen

October 10, 2000, 12:49 PM

Hey, that's a cool skin. Is that also done with PhotoShop? It looks more like it's rendered. How do you like DirectShow? Is it easy to use?

Jeroen

Vhalik

October 10, 2000, 03:47 PM

Thanks! Yeah, that skin was done in Photoshop.
I would label DirectShow as messy, they could have done a lot better job when putting that together. All in all once you get it where you want it, it just becomes a matter of making trivial changes.

Nick

October 10, 2000, 03:48 PM

Cool bumpmapping! ;-)

frost

October 10, 2000, 05:30 PM

people are so easily impressed by photoshop. to achieve that effect, do the following:
make a few gradients. use the halftone pattern filter in the sketch menue in the filters menu. use the lighting effects filter in the render menu in the filters menu.

Elixir

October 10, 2000, 05:58 PM

I don't mean to sound too negative but most graphical interfaces are just so incredibly slow they aren't worth their weight. It might just be me but I like a rigid structure in my interfaces. I'm not saying that interfaces like BlackBox or E are bad, its just that odd shapes aren't nearly as intuitive (usually).

Vhalik

October 10, 2000, 08:35 PM

I understand exactly where you all are coming from. I am a programmer, and not a graphic artist. The point that I was trying to get across is the ability to use the different sides of DirectX effectively. I love programming, but I just happened to have gotten sick of using Quicktime, RealPlayer and WindowsMedia when I could make something myself that I could use, that did all of that.