Submitted by Joerg Brauer, posted on October 08, 2000

Image Description, by Joerg Brauer

Hey,
these are 4 screenshots from the skp3D-engine I've been working on over the last year. It's the engine we use in our project NTT 2103, a 3d-rts-game. For some further information you could have a look at http://www.skullpture.de . Some features at the moment are :
  • Support for Q3A .bsp levels
  • ROAM for landscape-rendering
  • Skeletal animations
  • Advanced Particle system
  • Editors for outdoor-areas and buildings in form of self-made Q3-levels, the skysystem, particle-systems, object-physics, etc.
  • .md2, .3ds, .mdl, .obj, .lwo, .ase, .asc, ... files can be loaded
  • ...
  • I still need to put some work into the physics and some sweet things such as occlusion culling and better physics, but it's hopefully going to be finished until december. As to the screenshots, the one in the top left corner shows the first unit in the game. The second one shows the landscape-engine again, but this time without a precalculated color-map. The screenshot in the bottom left corner shows - who might have known it ? - a level from Q3A. At this point, I want to thank the others of the Titan-engine, their source-code helped me pretty much fixing some problems I had. The last screenshot doesn't really have anything to do with the engine, since it was an entry for an 1-week-game-coding-compo where no big engines where allowed to be used, so I had to rewrite all the necessary functions, I just needed another screenshot and didn't want to show something twice. It's an Asteroids clone in 3d, using an octree for visibility determination and collisions, nothing really special.

CU, Joerg Brauer aka nufan^skp^pb

Ignacio Castano

October 08, 2000, 02:35 PM

Hey, thanks. Its nice to know that somebody found the sources to be usefull.

Hannu Kankaanpää.

October 08, 2000, 03:34 PM

Looks really cool, are you sure that the lower-left shot is not actually a screenshot from Q3? :) It looks very similar, congratz.

That monster in top-right is also very nice, you rarely see that big monsters in games, which is a shame. I'd like to be chased by a 50-meter tall monster!

Where to find the source to Titan engine, btw?

"Advanced Particle system". It's there again, "advanced" :)

Your home pages crashed my IE totally.. Please fix it.

nufan^skp^pb

October 08, 2000, 04:35 PM

Hi,
    here is the URL of the Titan-engine : http://talika.fie.us.es/~titan/ .

As to the homepage, that's pretty strange, it works on most computers, but sometimes it crashes people's IE, but I really can't find a reason. I guess I'm going to set up a new, simple version without Java-Script soon.

CU

Lucid

October 08, 2000, 04:57 PM

There are a few javascript validators out there that you could try to double check with... I believe that netscape offers one of them...

morgan

October 08, 2000, 05:43 PM

I'd actually rather not be chased by a 50' tall monster (at least not in real life).

Engine looks *sweet*. It is really cool to see engines that handle indoor, outdoor, and outer space. Nice job!

-m

Uthman

October 08, 2000, 07:49 PM

looks _GREAT_ but whats up with the morphed out aspect ratio in the q3level shoot? Or is that due to the image resizing..

Phil Carlisle

October 09, 2000, 05:53 AM

Isnt it weird how so many people do the same thing all completely seperately??

Ive gone down the same route with a lot of my stuff..

.bsp file handling, roam landscape etc..

Admittedly, I'm now moving in some new directions, and it was worth it to learn the ins and outs of the bsp formats.

I just wish there were a nicer way to learn things rather than having to hack away at everything.

I guess there really isnt any greater way of learning than by practice.

Good work!

BTW: I used the Titan source to modify my Halflife BSP loader to load Q3A as well.. :))

Phil.