Submitted by M. Rusch, posted on October 07, 2000

Image Description, by M. Rusch

Just an image of another terrain engine ;) Actually, it's the engine to an online rpg type game I'm working on (no, not another MMORPG) so it will actually be used. Right now it features:
  • Octree (well, the world is subdivided recursively into 8x8 regions anyway)
  • Octree based collision detection
  • Octree based view frustum culling
  • Particle Effects (the fire, for example)
  • Blended Lightmaps
  • There is an issue with the lightmaps right now (the black streaks down the trees), and you may notice a couple of other little bugs. Nothing extravagant really, just the basics of the engine that I need to start working on the actual game part. If you're interested, there is a demo on my site at www.binaryvenom.com. The demo is a little older than these shots, but I will be updating it soon(next week or so).

Right now I'm working on the network code and some gameplay, and trying to figure out an acceptable way to do dynamic lighting and shadows without killing the frame rate. I'm considering per-pixel lighting (and adding bumpmaps in as well if that's the case), but am not sure what % of people out there have boards that support this. Anyway, enjoy and if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Matt Rusch

EGreg

October 07, 2000, 03:47 PM

Nice use of trees, mate... you have them standing up as opposed to orthogonal to landscape... maybe you can tilt their tunks just a little...

-Greg

fluffy

October 07, 2000, 04:08 PM

Is that a giant Pikachu in the upper-left screenshot? :)

Seriously, though, that looks pretty cool. Will it be a console-style RPG? Recently I've gotten into CRPGs again... a well-done CRPG is a Good Thing indeed.

zed zeek

October 07, 2000, 05:16 PM

*nice trees ive been looking for a while for some low poly trees but havent been able to find any decent ones.
    *btw nice looking site even though im not really into black backgrounds more into pansy colours like on me site http://members.xoom.com/myBollux your layout is good.
    *just a thought maybe using a quadtree would be more suited for your needs than a octree
    *this looks evry promising mate

Revolver

October 07, 2000, 05:37 PM

A giant Pikachu.... Yikes. He didn't mention he was making a *horror* rpg...

Timothy Barnes

October 07, 2000, 05:50 PM

that giant pikachu is a fire :)

BacksideSnap

October 07, 2000, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the responses. I should have sent one big image instead of four small ones, because you really can't tell that the giant Pikachu (oh, the horror) is really a fire (hence my particle engine) and you can *barely* see the knight. Hopefully I'll get the new demo up on my site soon so that those who are interested will have something a little better to look at.

EGreg - The actually are orthogonal to the landscape, it's the projection that makes them tilt at an angle. I will take you advice though and give them a bit more tilt.

Fluffy - This won't be anything like Final Fantasy if that helps to answer your question. At first it will be kind of diablo-ish while I'm getting the networking and combat systems into place. I think you may like it though...

zed - For now a quadtree may be a little easier, but down the line I'm adding some things that will definitely call for the octree. It speeds up the view-frustum culling with the octree anyway.

People seem to be liking the trees ;) I guess that's good saying as you can't see the fire animation or the knight walking, which are two big boosts to the environment. I hope people will check out the demo and let me know how it runs for them.

cya

richard

October 08, 2000, 01:10 AM

Nice, I've got 60-100 FPS (can't tell exactly because the FPS are going up & down very fast :)

My system: PIII 500 / 64MB / GeForce2 MX

Oh, and pleeeaaase, implement those bumpmaps, they look so nice... ;)

Phil Carlisle

October 08, 2000, 12:17 PM

I'm always happier to see people working towards a goal rather than just for the sake of it.

Sounds like you have a plan :))

I'll have to send in a damn picture of my new stuff sometime soon. :))

Nice though, keep at it!

Phil.

BacksideSnap

October 08, 2000, 05:10 PM

I'd like to thank everyone who downloaded the demo, ran it and got back to me. This helps more than you can imagine. I'm really glad that I posted this up here. I do have a definite plan for it (well, I have a plan, I'm not sure how well defined it is ;) I usually update my site with demos and screens once every couple weeks or so. I'm hoping to have a test version out soon where everyone can run around the landscape in a deathmatch type atmosphere. Probably sometime in November. Thanks again everyone, big ups to Kurt for IOTD.