Submitted by Max McGuire, posted on October 04, 2000

Image Description, by Max McGuire

This is a photo of me juggling torches with the Campus Fools Juggling club.

(Photo courtesy of Howard Georgi)

thec

October 04, 2000, 01:37 AM

Hey that looks real cool!

I know how to juggle but hell not with knives or torches! Looks dangerous :)

Albert

Prophylon

October 04, 2000, 01:43 AM

Wow awesome! How did you do those lighting effect? And man look at the polygon count... Nice job matey. When can we expect a demo?

[/me comes back to reality]

Nice variation of the IOTD, looks like you got some balls :) Great work heh *mumbleyoumustgetalotofchickswiththismumble*

Mark Friedenbach

October 04, 2000, 01:59 AM

cool shirt.

richard

October 04, 2000, 01:59 AM

I wish I could do that, wow! :)

Mace

October 04, 2000, 02:48 AM

Send in another picture where you juggle with chainsaws ;)

SPiTe

October 04, 2000, 03:13 AM

what about adding some nice lens flare effects?
By the way, I think there's a z-buffer error in some laves of the tree. xD

Werner

October 04, 2000, 03:14 AM

Question. How many times have you burnt your fingers, eyebrows or some other place (please specify)
while juggling with torches?

Bramz

October 04, 2000, 04:40 AM

Hey, I want that shirt too! :)

Thad

October 04, 2000, 04:54 AM

Ironicly photographers *hate* lens flare, and will go to great lengths / expense to avoid it. :)

Thad

Mace

October 04, 2000, 04:57 AM

Bramz: Enter the contest and youll get one... if youre good :)

Antonio Lattanzio

October 04, 2000, 06:08 AM

Yooz...
There's a tutorial about juggling torches around ??
I'd like to learn it toooo!!! :D

The Wolf

October 04, 2000, 06:25 AM

nice!! did you ever hear of the duo that juggles shotguns? they gotta do it in a bulletproof glass room... serious..

DirtyPunk

October 04, 2000, 08:43 AM

Don't know. I know of a tutorial/techfile explaining juggling on flipcode though.

Sylvain Rochette

October 04, 2000, 08:43 AM

I like the particule effect ;)

krogoth

October 04, 2000, 09:36 AM

Nice engine, but the background looks like it's in 16 colors, and that tree is flat.

NatureMan

October 04, 2000, 10:10 AM

so I guess you gave up programming for a real job ;)

Invhunter

October 04, 2000, 11:27 AM

Oh, i see! U used the "real-life-earth-3d-engine".
It's a damn good engine with high framerates, uncounted polygones und highly detailed textures. A realy good 3d-engine! I'm thinking about using it in my next 3d-action shooter! :)

baui

October 04, 2000, 01:03 PM

I don't know, the "real-life-earth-3d-engine" has some serious drawbacks when used for an action shooter.
Not that I have any real experience though.

DirtyPunk

October 04, 2000, 01:49 PM

Draw backs like real death, real prisons and pain? Not to mention the censorship issues.

Chiguire

October 04, 2000, 02:14 PM

The motion blur effect looks awesome, look at the hand, wow, is it realtime? do you use some sort of accumulation buffer or something?, i gotta know how did you that coooool effect!!!! :)

Max

October 04, 2000, 03:12 PM

Werner: The most dangerous part (in my opinion) is when actually before you start juggling and you're just holding the torches in your hands. There's a natural tendency to hold the torches down, and fire has this nasty tendency to always go in the up direction. I've gotten some minor burns on my hands from doing that, but other than singeing some of the hair on my arms I haven't really burned anything while juggling. Generally when you're juggling things that you don't want to catch the wrong way (torches, knives, etc.) you learn to just get your hands out of the way and let the bad throws fall on the ground.

The tech file on juggling is Jaap Suter's.

Oh, and for those with the chainsaw fixation, it's not me, but it is a real chainsaw.

Max

morgan

October 04, 2000, 03:33 PM

cool.

-m

Mark Friedenbach

October 04, 2000, 05:53 PM

I wouldn't recommend it, the Real-Life-3d-Engine (or RL3D) has a vicious following. Although 2D/3D texture artists and level designers (whome they call "architects" for some reason) are praised for their work, they seem to look down on any sort of violent gameplay.

That hasn't stopped my creative team of mod makers from working on an alternate solution though. We calling our new product "PaintBall 2000 Pro", and hope to release it sometime this summer.

I'll have to say that I'm not very impressed with the RL3D API though.. It leaves quite a bit to be desired.

baui

October 04, 2000, 05:59 PM

I agree with you regarding RL3D API. But what really bugs me is the almost total lack of good documentation, demos and tutorials.
Oh, and by the way, has anyone ever found any comments in the code?

DragonWorx

October 04, 2000, 06:06 PM

I WANT A T-SHIRT TOO!
KURT! PLEASE SELL THEM FROM THIS SITE!
(sure, just extend flipcode to be a merchant server, simple...;)

Kurt Miller

October 04, 2000, 06:12 PM

The next t-shirt batch, possibly along with some other simple merchandise, should be for sale at some point. I didn't expect so many people to want flipcode stuff. The current supply is almost finished, and they're only available through this offer or the coding contest.

krogoth

October 04, 2000, 06:15 PM

I'm still trying to find the code! It has some really good dynamic shadows and colored lighting, but look at the background on that screenshot! That's a 16 color background! And the tree looks flat, it's obviously just a billboard.

Gryphin

October 04, 2000, 06:40 PM

if you want to learn to juggle knives, go work in a restaurant for a few months. you'll end up being able to toss around 18" chef knives like they were tennis balls.

but as far as the pic goes, i think you need to get away from the fullbright, and go with dynamic lightmaps. ;)

EGreg

October 04, 2000, 10:42 PM

I just have one question (aside from how you got the shirt :)

When did you start juggling, how, with what, and what did you move on to? I have a hard time imagining you starting out with torches.... ("oops, sorry mom!"), hehehehe.
Very nice indeed... by the way, I like the fact that the IOTD doesn't always have to be software-generated. BRING SOME REALITY HERE! :)

-Greg