Submitted by Ricardo Santos, posted on September 28, 2000

Image Description, by Ricardo Santos

hi this is some screenshots of our engine i want to know your what you think this engine is for our game called omega2040 soon will be relase the complete demo in november 25 to 30 first to all our friend in flipcode please send ous a email to Dxantos@yahoo.com or johnmustance@hotmail.com
synceraly richard D & Michael R draxson team we have rain bumpmapping snow storms particle system X-lios mathemathics editor to edit terains and inside etc etc etc

iCodeSuk

September 28, 2000, 01:46 PM

It looks good. Not sure what those structures represent, but they look cool. Any chance you could explain more about the engine your using? Cheers.

Chiguire

September 28, 2000, 01:53 PM

The top left image is very impressive, it gives the feel of an strange planet!!, cool man. The water, however, doesn't give the effect of real water, try rendering the geometry below the water with some sort of phaseable distortion, that moves with time, it could be done with a stencil buffer :-). btw, What type of game will be omega2040?

The Wolf

September 28, 2000, 02:04 PM

WOW, incredible improvement!!! your IOTD was great, these ones are even better!

I hope you read my post for your last IOTD, (mutliple moons or suns... etc)
I would be very interested in demo-ing the game..

keep up the great work

Mike W

September 28, 2000, 04:25 PM

Looks sweet.

malkia/eastern.analog

September 28, 2000, 04:49 PM

That looks pretty damn good Industrial, i like it very much.

Elixir

September 28, 2000, 05:26 PM

Reminds me of Fallout 3D :P
The detailed landscape textures give it a good detailed look.
Keep it up!

richard

September 28, 2000, 05:39 PM

Wow, very, very nice!

Yum! :)

DragonWorx

September 28, 2000, 09:07 PM

looks smooth.

Reminds me of something from Aliens 2, the outdoor shots.
Please tell me you'll have aliens in it? Go on...put some aliens in...
;)

Richard Draxson

September 28, 2000, 09:29 PM

Just a question, has anybody had problems with the latest NVIDIA detonator drivers? I have been getting strange results and insestabilities since upgraded to them, and wondered if its result of the drivers or just unexpected features (read BUGS) in my code :)

krogoth

September 28, 2000, 10:21 PM

Never had problems with the first "unified detonator drivers", if there's a new version i'll go break my computer as soon as i'm done posting this message ;)

Btw, you said before that you used some kind of parametric terrain generation, i think, so how do you edit the terrain? Can you really get anything you want, or do you just change the parameters? Can you give out any info on triangles per second/frame and how much memory a terrain block of size X takes? (i'm sort of new to 3D engine programming, and i'm interested in adjustable detail and large areas in small amounts of memory (like that guy who had something like 100 square miles in memory...))

Max

September 28, 2000, 10:46 PM

"I have been getting strange results and insestabilities since upgraded to them"

Me too, I've been getting GPFs sometimes when initializing OpenGL.

Max

Timothy Barnes

September 28, 2000, 10:47 PM

That's the prettiest application of fog I've seen. :)

Lion V

September 29, 2000, 01:48 AM

phatty, just phatty.
looks like a ruined industrial planet.
like the man said, great fog use....
Will you make a game with that engine ?
it looks, so....totally cewl.
The modeling really rocks.
~V'lion

9600man

September 29, 2000, 03:18 AM

A moment. Thats all it takes. A moment. Before that moment, life is just a cycle of monotony, which we cover with love, suffering, achievements, losses, all lies to justify our existence. Then the moment comes.. A loud explosion, and the fire that once never was now become the force against my back. I flew forward and then blackness. A moment from the life of colorful illusions that we weeve for our selves, to the darkness that engulfed me now...
Chapter one:
I awoke and found my self beside the shores of a lake. My mouth felt as if all the water that was once in me, now filled the lake. I looked up and saw her, the midnight sky, she had slipped into her veil of blue. The moon, a pearl hidden deep within her chest, from it a glow, soft, sober, gently danced upon the lake surface.
looking around me, i could see nothing of where i came from. I have no idea of what happened. A lonliness grips me. A fear. In what seemed like the begining if lunacy, my eyes darted around to the strange skeletons in the distance. So many skeletons so far away. What was worse then the horrid skeletons which reminded me of a civilization now gone, destoryed by its own supremacy, was ths silence. No there was still music of the lake lapping agaist the shore, the wind gently breezing, and if one listen carefully enough could hear the tune of the glow emenating from her moon. But the horrible realisation that there was no sound of life. Where were was the symphony of nature? There was none.
...

Hee hee hee.. sorry got carried away... i actually had more but its been a long time since i've written anything, so i'm a little rusty. I was just inspired by the images.
Thats when you know you've achieved something, when you inspire people.

Cheers

9600man

September 29, 2000, 03:20 AM

damn it i can't edit my own post. So many typos and grammatical mistakes. Excuse the mistakes please.

Cheers

Jinja

September 29, 2000, 04:15 AM

Very atmospheric. Are these screenshots from your Massively Multiplayer game?
Do these represent the wastelands you find between cities/towns/dwellings or are you expecting a community to collect around these fallen structures. Does this represent an earth of the future after WW3 or is it an alien landscape.

Can you hint any further about the content of your game and what would be involved in playing it?

-Jinja

NatureMan

September 29, 2000, 09:41 AM

very nice, I can't wait to try the demo, looks very post-appocalyptic. your use of atmospheric effects is amazing especially if you've implemented weather effects. how customizable is the game interface going to be? is it possible to make an auto speed configuration during the install that would make a list of all the config combos by order of speed from fastest to slowest and allow the user to pick one? it might slow down the install but I think it would save the user time compared to testing each option manually. does anyone else agree?

Thad

September 29, 2000, 10:30 AM

The (lovel of detail) config interface could be reduced to a single slider bar [Fast] -> [Fancy] with an [Advanced] button for the configaholics to turn things on and off.

Inferface design is all about combining inuitive simplsity with total flexability.

Thad

NatureMan

October 01, 2000, 10:21 AM

well that's true, but I'm talking about (for instance, Q3A) where you can choose level of poly's, shadow method, Hi/Low sound quality, etc. for some systems certain of these things might have more signifigance to fps than others, and for other systems, completely different settings might have the same signifigance...

do I make sense? and besides I (the end user) might want to make a trade off, and lose some speed because I want see the dibs, or hi quality textures, or whatever and a list is better for that than a slider bar or two

but the signifigance of my original question was to have the setup do all the speed tests, because that would be faster than ,say "Me" having to setup, run, exit, setup, run, etc... fifty or so times to get it the way I like

on a different path, I like maximum user cfig, which is why I like Corel's products rather than Adobe or Mirosoft (just had to stick that in for some reason)

Dave

December 19, 2000, 09:53 PM

Man, I have to say this looks very nice. I'd love to see a demo.