Submitted by Jonas Collberg, posted on September 22, 2000

Image Description, by Jonas Collberg

This picture was made using my ray tracer made as a school project (A few years since I touched it now...). I guess it isn't anything special, but I sort of like the colors... Anyway, there's a lot of nice pictures floating about around this place. Makes me wanna code... So I guess I'll have to start polishing up my rusted old brain cells and try to do something about it.

Jonas Collberg

Foper

September 22, 2000, 03:19 AM

Well done! Very nice warm looking shot. Are you in the mood to tell the story of that raytracer, like how long did this take to render, what optimizations you use etc ?

Keep up the excellent work.

MK42

September 22, 2000, 04:05 AM

Raytracers always amaze me. Although, they are very simple in their basic structure, they manage to make three planes and three spheres look spectacular (or should that mean specular :))!!

Looks really cool,

MK42

m a d r i g a l

September 22, 2000, 05:49 AM

Gee ... do something with it. It looks promising.
What resources did you use to code the project?
We might learn something here.

- Ron

Jonas Collberg

September 22, 2000, 05:54 AM

It's done using the compiler DJGPP ( http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/ ).
I'll put up the source code soon at http://home.student.uu.se/joco8669 . Be forewarned though! It's quite ugly and full of swedish comments :-).
Jonas Collberg

Jonas Collberg

September 22, 2000, 06:11 AM

Please disregard from my previous URL. The address should be
Jonas Collberg

Mace

September 22, 2000, 07:57 AM

The swedish comments are no prob here :)
I can type :)
Yep, our keyboards have more features than yours :P
hehehe.

Jonas Collberg

September 22, 2000, 10:32 AM

OK, if anyone's interested the code for the ray tracer is now available at
Jonas Collberg

The Wolf

September 22, 2000, 11:11 AM

AMAZING, ray tracers always amaze me, you should do your own mini 3d studio max :)

Chiguire

September 22, 2000, 01:50 PM

damn!!!! when the thumbnail showed in the main flipcode page, the whole floor noticed that something impressing hit my screen!!!, it looks very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very coooool man!!!
the reflection in the big sphere has something like volumetric fog, is it that or just lighting??

Timothy Barnes

September 22, 2000, 02:03 PM

Jesus! You could have sold that or something. That's awesome.

fenris

September 22, 2000, 10:14 PM

If you don't mind me asking...
Why was the texture mapping code omitted from the source release?

Jonas Collberg

September 23, 2000, 06:34 AM

To fenris: Actually the texture-mapping code is there. (And it should work.)
t's just that it isn't used for that particular scene I included. (There's code for applying
textures for spheres and planes (in the respective files sphere.cc and plane.cc), but NOT
for boxes.)