Submitted by Alex J Champandard, posted on September 20, 2000

Image Description, by Alex J Champandard

Well the thumbnail looks awesome, the shot itself is fairly average (the last one I took before my computer passed out on me :). But when it comes to the demo... hmmmm.

Read all about the technology, or rather mis-tech behind all this in my techfile.

You can also download the demo right here. A big special thanks goes out to Andy for the sound effects.

Comments welcome.

Jeroen

September 20, 2000, 01:24 PM

Whew, very cool and very un-average in my view! Does your engine allow for light-sources? If so, a bright yellow light-source at the position of the fire might be nice.

Jeroen

Revolver

September 20, 2000, 03:09 PM

When are you planning to make a source release? There's been a "not yet!" message under source downloads on your site for several months now. ;-)

Michael Kurth

September 20, 2000, 03:13 PM

The trees look nice, but trees normally grow more or less towards the sun. Your trees almost appear to have their up vectors tied to the grounds normal - if you look at the trees on the far side of the slope (in the top picture) they seem to lean away from the viewer, and the trees on the near side seem to lead toward the viewer. It doesnt quite look right, IMHO =)

I like the water texture and sky textures too. The scenes have a smooth look and cold feel to them. I think the ground detail in the top shot is a little contrasted though, it takes it from a smooth snow look to more of a rocky surface.

The Wolf

September 20, 2000, 03:41 PM

very nice textures... gotta check out the demo when I get home

malkia/eastern.analog

September 20, 2000, 03:55 PM

Great!
I'm now downloading the demo!
But i'm sure it will be good...

iCodeSuk

September 20, 2000, 04:02 PM

I downloaded your demo, but it crashed my computer. The config file sets the resolution too high. Still, I love the detail of the landsape, and the trees look really cool, even though as far as I can see, they are billboard type things. Great Effects!!

DarkMage139

September 20, 2000, 04:54 PM

Dang, you are good... :)

Timothy Barnes

September 20, 2000, 06:22 PM

That fire looks cool. Makes me wanna burn something.

The Wolf

September 20, 2000, 10:53 PM

I just checked the demo, damn tht is good, again I love the textures especially the sky. I think the guys are right you should have lowered the resolution for those of us who don't have GeForce (yet!). I changed the settings in the engine file and it worked great. WELL DONE

richard

September 21, 2000, 12:19 AM

Wow!
Very, very, very nice!

If I get my GeForce MX today I'll test it again because my old TNT2 M64 is way too slow > 12 FPS @ PIII 500 in 640x480x16 :)

btw. Why are you using 1600x1200 in the config file?
My monitor would explode when I set it that high!! :)

Alex J. Champandard

September 21, 2000, 04:31 AM

Right, I changed the default config to something sensible...

The trees always point in the direction (0,1,0) no matter what the slope. I think the angle of the camera is a bit confusing in the first shot.

The source is far from being helpful at the moment, hence the reason for not releasing it. You can learn more from this engine by my explanation of the mistakes I made while coding it, so check the techfile update.

When I get time, I'll recode the engine properly. There might be a little surprise for you all then ;)

Cheers for all the feedback guys.

Alex

richard

September 21, 2000, 08:20 AM

Well, I've got my GeForce MX (whoopie :) but now I only get 17 FPS??

Pants

September 21, 2000, 09:09 AM

Why are you bothering with the "MX" range of boards. They are known to be cut down versions of better ones and are bassically "Slow".

Pete

Alex J. Champandard

September 21, 2000, 09:35 AM

The target FPS is 15, which means you get more polies with a better machine, and less otherwise.

And it's only 15 because the demo is not especially fast in the first place :P

Alex

richard

September 21, 2000, 05:33 PM

I know that but they are much faster than my old TNT2 M64 :)
It doubles the FPS and it is a very cheap card...

Also I don't have enough money to buy a $500 prized card :(

richard

September 21, 2000, 05:38 PM

So my FPS was higher than the target FPS?? Wow! :)