Submitted by Alexandre Maltais, posted on August 29, 2000

Image Description, by Alexandre Maltais

This is a preview of my flipcode contest entry (Shadow and Light).

I use a particle system for light and foutain effect (small picture).

Alexandre Maltais

sternenwandler

August 29, 2000, 10:37 AM

quite cool, but it's a bit...empty.

[sternenwandler].

ktingle

August 29, 2000, 10:51 AM

What technique do you use for creating the shadows?

richard

August 29, 2000, 10:57 AM

Looks very good, but why don't you use a skybox? (=less empty)

mice

August 29, 2000, 11:02 AM

Way cool!
Use a shadow map (same as billboard tree?) for each of the lightsources and with different transparancy depending on the strenght of it. Would enhance the effect, methinks...

The Wolf

August 29, 2000, 11:03 AM

looks nice, non-flat surface is a plus, all you need now is a couple of ponds :)

Rui Martins

August 29, 2000, 11:24 AM

Int the Down Left Corner, I find strange that a Light casts shadows !

Couldn't you just invert the "shadow" ideia, i.e. just ligthen the "shadow" instead of darkenning it, it's source is a light instead of an opaque object.

fluffy

August 29, 2000, 12:22 PM

Blah. I'd enter the contest were it not for a few issues:

- I'm a grad student. I'm not made of time. :)
- I don't have the bandwidth to download the other entries or the desire to reboot into Windows to run the ones which require it.
- I have no way of compiling for Windows.

Of course, I could code to GLUT and hope that someone else would be so kind as to recompile for Windows, but that still doesn't help me with the other two issues. :)

Code. Music. fluffy.

EGreg

August 29, 2000, 12:51 PM

No, I think in the inset picture, the fotain is not a light source. The orange thing is a light source. I think you could have both f hem be a light source since they both seem to glow with lights.

-Greg

"What direction you should go in depends very much on where you want to end up." - a famous cat :)

EGreg

August 29, 2000, 12:52 PM

BTW, if you have Linux executables or whatever, distirbute them! :) your demo looks good... if you want ,you can send someone GLUT code and they can compile it. Just ignore #1 and #2 ;-)

hehe

-Greg

Alexandre Maltais

August 29, 2000, 01:49 PM

Hey, thanks guys.

I use two technique for the shadows :
1. Trees : simple, i render a face in the XY plane with the orientation of my light source. You have a example in the DX7.0 SDK.
2. Fountain : i render the shadow of each water particle using some simple geometry transformation.

Note : In the small image, the light source is the orange ball. The fountain is not a light source. The fountain shadow is very precise, but it's not evident on this picture.

I'll post the first version tonight. :)

Buster

August 29, 2000, 02:03 PM

It looks like someone casting spells in EverQuest :)

fluffy

August 29, 2000, 06:33 PM

Alexandre: The problem with the water fountain is that it looks like your particles are glowing, and are therefore light sources. :) You might want to try doing (I'm assuming you're using OpenGL, since you didn't specify and I don't know D3D :) glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA) so that the water doesn't start to glow when there's a bunch overlapping. :)

Also, the easiest way to do a skybox is just as the name implies: make a large textured box around the camera. You want to literally make a "big blue room with a yellow light," in a sense. :)

EGreg: I think you're confusing me with someone who's actually submitted something for this contest. I don't have any demo. I don't have time to write a demo. And writing a demo just to be disqualified simply because I don't have the patience with Windows to download and run the Windows-based demos in order to vote on them, well, sucks. :) Though as I already said, yeah, I could get someone to theoretically recompile my demo for Windows, but that assumes that I don't use any of the standard parts of the STL and standard C library which Microsoft did in a non-standard way (which they do all the friggin' time... sometime try to use <pair> directly iN MSVC++ and tell me how it goes ;)

Code. Music. fluffy.

rhk

August 29, 2000, 08:08 PM

alexandre: very cool. I imagine it's even cooler watching the shadows for the fountain move as the fountain does. nice touch.

fluffy: You can easily cross compileOpenGL (and directx) apps for win32 from
linux. I do.

Alexandre Maltais

August 29, 2000, 08:26 PM

Fluffy : it's true, the fountain is to much glowing, i'll decrease the lightning factor. I use DirectX.

Vlion

August 29, 2000, 08:33 PM

nice pix.
If someone wants me to compile W32 DX6 exes, I would.
~V'lion

fluffy

September 05, 2000, 01:26 AM

And once again I must point out that I don't have the time, bandwidth or patience to download other peoples' demos, which means I won't be able to vote, which means I'll just get disqualified anyway. Yeah, I know, the demo's about sharing code and techniques and the like, but it'd hurt my fragile little ego. :)

ANd yes, I know that you can cross-compile from Linux for Windows, and I know that there are various ports of gcc to Windows. That still doesn't solve me not having enough time in the day, and I also still don't want to go out and have to download alternate compilers or the like and spend a buttload of time debugging in some OS which I, frankly, have absolutely NO coding experience in (in any modern way, anyway). I hate Windows. I don't exactly go out of my way to make it more usable for myself, since the only program I even keep Windows around for is Impulse Tracker (which isn't even a Windows program, but it's nice to be able to switch between IT and CoolEdit).

I should have just kept quiet on this. Bleh. At least I've gotten some interesting conversations via email as a result of this.