Submitted by John Schreiner & Gaz Iqbal, posted on August 28, 2000

Image Description, by John Schreiner & Gaz Iqbal

This is a screenshot from the recent test release of our 3d engine. It's strong points are probably it's modular and clear coding style. For a full feature list, and full source code and executables check out our webpage here (http://www.thepeel.com/void).

John Schreiner
Gaz Iqbal

Mace

August 28, 2000, 09:01 AM

Since no one has commented this yet i thought that ill just say that it looks very impressive and a big + is that you release the source for it. Gonna try and download it fron a friend since my crappy modem would explode trying to download an 8mb file :)

Are there going to be more tutorials?
Perhaps some tutorials on the Collision handling or 3d effects you used when developing that engine.

-In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

The Wolf

August 28, 2000, 10:15 AM

Looks great, checked out your site.. the screenshots look impressive :)
(you should have used the screenshots with the girl)

are you planning to make a game with the engine?
___________________________________________________________________________
- I know what you are looking for, you are searching for meaning to all of this -

Gaz Iqbal

August 28, 2000, 11:31 AM

Hey, thanks guys.

I'm going to work on a few more articles as I get some time, but you'll have to ask John for stuff like collision detection.

As for the game, we have some ideas, but need to do some more engine work before we can concentrate on them. Should know where we are going in the next couple of weeks.

On a final note. The FPS in the screenshot is a little misleading. I had two copies of void running, one acting as a listen server and one as a client, plus devstudio, msdn and a whole bunch of crap, so its less than half of what it usually is =). I average around 150fps on my Celeron 850, GeforceDDR, 128mb ram in the current unoptimized state of the engine.

Thanks again.

John S.

August 28, 2000, 12:39 PM

I'm definately planning on writing a collision detection over time (not just a simple non-moving intersection) tutorial. There are pretty much 0 sources on the internet for good bbox / bsp collision detection. I think I pretty much have it worked out in my head, i just have to implement it (currently for bbox collision i just take the shortest line trace from all the corners). I might write something on the shader system. What do you guys want to see tutorials on specifically?

JS

Mace

August 28, 2000, 12:51 PM

Hm, i dont know if you got these features in your engine but heres some suggestions for tutorials:

- Bullet holes in walls
- Collision detection using bbox/ellipsoids/spheres or tri to tri intersection.
- Effects such as fog/dynamic lighting or materials on faces
(env maps)

Whats that black "screen" behind the player in the screenshot?
Might be cool to have a "console screen" on it that shows player/engine statistics... UT had a simple example of this with scrolling text showing who´s leading the current match.

Mace

August 28, 2000, 12:53 PM

- Bullet holes in walls
- Collision detection using bbox/ellipsoids/spheres or tri to tri intersection.
- Effects such as fog/dynamic lighting or materials on faces
(env maps)

Whats that black "screen" behind the player in the screenshot?

Mace

August 28, 2000, 12:56 PM

Ummm, and now youve seen it twice folks :)
Only the best suggestions get posted here twice..
Its not because my damn connection closed without telling me it had posted my message.

Mike Boeh

August 28, 2000, 01:06 PM

As both a game developer and an expert quake3 player, I really liked it... very smooth on my athlon 800/gf2 (but what isnt :D). The console fade in was cool.... I tried quitting through console commands and i got locked....

Lucid

August 28, 2000, 04:42 PM

hmm, didn't know that there was such a thing as an "expert" quake3 player, let alone the criteria for becoming one, but oh well... As both a wanna be programmer(note, not even fully one of those yet) and a poor quake3 player(in my opinion, since I haven't played it in two months) this engine was cool...
I did get that error that caused me to become stuck to the floor though, so here are some system specs in case it's only on some systems and might help track down the problem...

PII 400
RAM 128 meg
VidCard TNT2 M64
Windows 2000 sp1

Mike Boeh

August 28, 2000, 05:14 PM

I play for the #1 rated team in the united states, which i assume qualifies me as an expert :o

zed zeek

August 28, 2000, 06:10 PM

hey youre using the same skybox as i am ;) brings me to me own question anyone know where i can get some decent skyboxes from, ive managed to find about 5 on the net and of those their maximum sizes are just 256x256

Lucid

August 28, 2000, 06:43 PM

*cough*...

Lucid

August 28, 2000, 06:44 PM

oops, that was supposed to say...*cough*...(while choking on own's words)

Kurt Miller

August 28, 2000, 06:45 PM

zed,

http://halflife.lowlife.com/wadfather/, under "Env Maps" from the menu.

I don't know if any of those are larger than 256x256 though. You can always generate your own using Terragen, Sky Paint, or other renderers.

Antonio

August 28, 2000, 08:28 PM

Really nice work Gaz Iqbal and John Schreiner!

Your engine looks great.. and the tutorials on the site too!
I've found really useful your tutorials like the one about Console managing (Similar to mine, but more complete).
One of the best tutorial that i'd like to see is "How to use OpenGL with graphic accelleration", using the glsetup driver. I saw something around the net but nothing is complete..

Hope to hear soon about u.. :)
Keep on coding then! :)
ByeZ.

D3stY

John S.

August 28, 2000, 09:16 PM

Mace - a lot of the stuff you mention arent in void, so I dont think i'm proficient enough with any of them right now to do a tutorial. Of course if you just feel like chatting bout that sort of stuff in the meantime, just icq me or something.
The black void screen in the back of the screenshot is just kinda an advertizement for void ;-) It's just a simple shader effect that fades a bar in and out over the void texture. What you mention about a scoreboard is a great idea, but I don't see myself implementing it unless it fits well into whatever we decide to do as far as a game.

Mike - "I tried quitting through console commands and i got locked...." - that very unocassionally happens to me too. Does it happen every time?

Zed - I dunno where we got our textures from, gotta ask Gaz bout that, but our sky system is really so much more than just a skybox. You can build any kinda of sky you want out of brushes - mountains, buildings, whatever, and they will be drawn as if viewed from the origin, so they are always centered around the view origin. We have just been puting brushes in a cube and putting those env maps on them because it's nice and easy ;-) I really should document exactly how to use the sky system.

Antonio - I definately plan on moving from my own code to glsetup sometime soon, so writing up a tutorial on it is a pretty good possibility.

==========
JS
==========

MasterBoy

August 28, 2000, 11:49 PM

Nice work Gaz and John,
now, how about adding some shadows to the characters? ;)

Keep up the good work!

MasterBoy / Issue

Timothy Barnes

August 29, 2000, 09:40 AM

Woah...I was impressed by the thumbnail alone

The Wolf

August 29, 2000, 10:26 AM

JS - for collision detection and such, you might wanna get your hands on the source code for Quake2 or Genesis3D, the got decent ones.

Genesis3D is found on www.Genesis3D.com (free!!)
and Quake2 source is a little harder to find (but still available) ...... ;)

BTW, your engine runs real smooth, even in 800x600 32bit I got 40-50fps (average) on a RivaTNT2 16MB, Celeron 333
the only thing is the mouse movement needs refining.

Kurt Miller

August 29, 2000, 06:39 PM

A bit off topic, I apologize, but Mace-- in response to your comment about a tutorial on "Bullet holes in walls", check out Nate's new tutorial on flipCode: Decals Explained.

Axeman

August 30, 2000, 01:44 AM

A shsders tutorial would be really cool.. I'd definately read it a few times.. Are there any out there now?

-Joe

Nate Miller

September 04, 2000, 05:05 PM

If your looking for a tutorial on shaders look at the Quake3 Shader Manual that id provides. Don't know the URL offhand, but try Google.

Nate Miller