Submitted by Joakim Eriksson, posted on August 07, 2000

Image Description, by Joakim Eriksson

This is 4 screenshots from the next version of a screensaver called Planestate. They all come from what is going to be v1.2 and the major new feature is the possibility to use file textures on the planes. (Before they where real time calculated) The topmost pictures are from the configuration screen and the bottom two are from inside the screensaver.

Features of the screensaver is that it's completely configurable. Includes 5 different backgrounds that can work as screensavers on their own and animations that contain frames that animate themselves. Creating the effect of taking a long time before it repeats itself. If ever.

If you want to learn more about the screensaver or test the latest version then go to http://www.itnsoftware.com v1.1 can be found there and v1.2 should be up in a week or so.

Contact me at jme@itnsoftware.com

/Joakim E.

morgan

August 07, 2000, 11:34 AM

Pretty!

Nate Miller

August 07, 2000, 03:04 PM

Good job, very nice.

Nate Miller

Joakim Eriksson

August 07, 2000, 04:34 PM

Thanks!
If anyone else have any suggestions or comments then please write here and tell about it!

I forgot to mention that the idea to the screensaver came from the old Electropaint screensaver. (If that now rings any bells for any one =)

Last new feature added: The possibility to billboard the planes. Looks quite funny.

DragonWorx

August 07, 2000, 07:18 PM

Looks great man!

Is the GUI yours too? Kinda cool.
Are there any tunnel effects?
I can just imagine a continuosly building tunnel (like the one at the beginning of the X-Men movie)...

Kick ass!

"Blessed are the cheese makers..." - Life of Brian

Joakim Eriksson

August 07, 2000, 07:44 PM

Yes the gui is mine to. It's extremely limited by it fills it's purpose and it's created
from a ordinary text file so it's easy to change it. However it lack a lot of features
so a real gui is still on the todo list.

I was working on tunnel effect and got most of it done but put the project on ice
when I ran into the problem of how to rotate the sections at the curves of the
tunnel in a nice looking manner. But now when you have brought it up I'll take
another look and see if I can fix it. I haven't seen the X-Men movie yet though
so I don't know how that effect is.

Mace

August 08, 2000, 02:38 AM

Looks awesome.
yeah, that tunnel in X-men are cool but the rest of the movie was
quite "strange" and the ending in X-Men left you with a big HUH?
Storm was nice though :)

-In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Tim Auld

August 08, 2000, 02:41 AM

You can make a tunnel effect by making a series of keyframes (like an animation), and interpolating between their positions using Hermite splines, and quaternion slerp for their orientation. This lets you create rings that you can tesselate with quad strips, and animate the camera in the same way. Vary the orientation randomly at each keyframe and move the position along a certain length, cycle the keyframe buffer around, and you get a winding tunnel effect. I made such a tunnel for a hyperspace effect for my game, except that it has an entrance that opens up a bit like the wormhole from DS9. The changing orientation can become noticible at each keyframe because it's linear, but it's still pretty good. There are more advanced techniques which I haven't done yet to interpolate the orientation.

Here's a good link for Hermite splines and quaternions:

Good luck and nice screensaver!
Tim

Joakim Eriksson

August 08, 2000, 04:18 AM

Thanks that was just the thing I had forgot! The system is already built as you describe but the one thing I missed was to use quaternions for the rotation. But it's true that the linear orientation interpolation will become noticeable. But there should be some way around that I guess. Any ideas are welcome.