Submitted by Kyle Kestell, posted on July 15, 2000

Image Description, by Kyle Kestell

hey, i've been a fan of flipcode for a long time now and I thought that I would contribute my own IOTD for once :>

The following screenshot if of a Quake2 level (I dont remember who made it, sorry) converted from the quake2 .bsp format into my own binary format. It was rendered using a simple test program that I whipped up in a few minutes to test the validity of the data. Currently, the fileformat supports triangle strips, multiple textures and texture coordinates. I plan on adding lightmap information soon, and then probobly entity/actor/object information. This will soon be intigrated with my octree based hidden surface removal. If anyone would like a copy of the file format spec or the source code to either the converter or the demo rendering program, just post a reply. Note: Although the fileformat supports multiple textures, I havn't written a texture manager yet so it is only rendered with one texture ("stolen" from Q3A)

Kyle Kestell
kkestell@uswest.net

Kyle Kestell

July 15, 2000, 11:26 AM

Argh, don't you hate progress :> A few hours after I submitted that image I got the texture manager and simple vertex lighting going, if you want to see some (much) better screen shots, you can roll over to http://www.users.uswest.net/~mkestell/

-K

Johan Glysing

July 15, 2000, 12:26 PM

Whats wrong with your mip mapping?
A side wall in one of the screenshots is blurred more than a wall
further away from it... Apart from that, your engine looks a lot like my own i started today :-)

ref_cracker

July 16, 2000, 12:05 AM

I always like looking at source!
Especially anything remotly associated with quake!
Can you send over the whole source and the converter from q3 arena maps too please!

ref_cracker@yahoo.com

Thanks

Chris McGuire

July 20, 2000, 05:19 AM

About Johan's mipmapping comment - I noticed the same effect while playing Counter-Strike.

I think it's just a simple way to avoid nasty aliasing on surfaces orientated close to the viewing plane. Rather than try and calculate the linear resample in one screen dimension, you just throw a very distant mipmap in there. It looks very blurry on one screen dimension (Vertical in this instance, or horizontal on the ceiling which is more obvious), but you don't get jags on the other dimension, where the polygon is rendered in a very narrow space.

Chris :)

Max

July 20, 2000, 05:36 AM

Chris,

Good point. Anisotropic filtering would be the fix for this, right?

Max