Submitted by Joshua Shagam, posted on July 11, 2000

Image Description, by Joshua Shagam

Ah, the lowly torus... the bane of graphics programmers old and new, done to death in testing every single possible permutation of simple graphics algorithms... like in this case, where it's dynamically morphing with a cube of a completely different number of vertices and polygons with realtime reflectionmapping and shadows (shadows not turned on in this screenshot). Oh, and it just happens to self-reflect too, complete with interreflections...

fluffy

July 11, 2000, 02:24 PM

Since submitting this screenshot, btw, I've removed the self-reflections, since they are hackish and ended up looking pretty crappy in general. :) I've also done a lot of changes to my engine which make reflectionmap generation a bit more useful, such as calculating the texture coordinates based on the camera which generated the reflectionmap. I have plenty of rambling about such things in my development diary in case anyone's interested.

FoZi

July 11, 2000, 06:14 PM

Way coool man!!!
It looks really cool, keep up the good work ;)

fluffy

July 11, 2000, 10:12 PM

I've put up another screenshot, this time with shadows enabled. (Warning: it's a 241k PNG.) In a way it's *too* realistic in that the reflections and shadows all interact to make viewing things somewhat incomprehensible. :) (Truly reflective objects don't have nearly as much diffuse reflection, for what it's worth - these surfaces are all VERY hypothetical.)

Alex Taylor

July 11, 2000, 10:47 PM

Quite nice. I can imagine you had quite a bit of fun morhping different numbers of vertices/faces

fluffy

July 11, 2000, 11:41 PM

Actually, the morphing stuff is some of the simplest code in my entire engine. It has to do with how I'm storing the meshes, which I'm working on a paper on, and so I don't want to give away too much, but this mesh storage mechanism also allows for very fast (and near-optimal) shadowvolumes being put out (takes O(n) time for n polygons, too), as well as all the fun morphing, resampling, and other stuff, such as being able to have wavelet-based compression (which can progressively optimize a mesh as it's downloaded, and some meshes compress down to as little as 4.5 bytes per triangle).

The storage mechanism is also technically a HUGE step backwards in terms of thinking and it's so incredibly obvious I'm surprised nobody else has done it. Which is the other reason I'm being secretive about it for now. :)

Of course, what I *COULD* do is just get around to finishing my damned paper (I've actually been sitting on it for about 6 months now) and submitting it to SIGGRAPH or something and then I could speak freely about it without fear of someone else usurping it from me. But I'm lazy, and the problem with writing academic papers of this nature is finding references to cite. (What might seem obvious to one person could be a completely foreign concept to a reader, which is why papers always have to be so anally-cited - it's not that you're proving that you're not plagiarizing as English teachers would have you think). Unfortunately, I don't know of any papers which go down to the simplistic, fundamental levels to which these techniques go. :) I also don't want to have a tiny number of citations either, though, since then people won't take me seriously as a researcher. Which would suck. (This renderer is hopefully my PhD thesis project, though I still need to clear it with my advisor... I'm sure he'll agree though.)

Albert Sandberg

July 12, 2000, 02:37 AM

Looks real good, can't wait to see the paper :)

Albert "thec" Sandberg