Submitted by Frank Linder , posted on July 10, 2000

Image Description, by Frank Linder

I have done some improvements with my landscape. (See my latest contribution to IOTD.) Instead of divide n conquer I use a better height analyses, combined with triangulation. Instead of texturing in large blocks I use texturing in small blocks combined with alpha blending.

Programmed in Borand C++ Builder(4) and DirectX6

Axeman

July 10, 2000, 03:48 AM

Do you have a downloadable demo or somthing? I'd like to see more!

-Joe

MadKeithV

July 10, 2000, 03:49 AM

Nice... very nice!

The sky still looks a bit flat, but apart from that, great use of texturing and trees! That's a pretty convincing out-doors engine.

ysaneya

July 10, 2000, 07:07 AM

Pretty good :) Though the sky still needs some work, and the fog looks like dirty (hey, what's all
this pollution ?). And true reflections on water ( we only see the reflected sky now ).
How do you generate the landscape ? It doesn't look like an heightmap.

Y.

rips

July 10, 2000, 07:30 AM

The first thing I noticed is that it looks as though the surface area per texel is constant (or nearly constant) in this engine. This is in stark contrast to most engines which just wrap a texture over the terrain from the top and end up stretching it no-end on big cliffs like seen in your screenshot. How do you calculate the textures? Are they just texture tiles that are alpha blended based on gradient/height? If so, how do you handle alignment issues.

DarkMage139

July 10, 2000, 08:00 AM

Woah, that was breathtaking!

Willem

July 10, 2000, 10:10 AM

I like the image on the bottom-left. Reminds me of a place somewhere in Canada... aaah... yeah..

Carl Warwick

July 10, 2000, 05:32 PM

Awesome, what sort of FPS are you getting with this?

EGreg

July 10, 2000, 11:38 PM

yeaaaaaaaaaaaa

the sky looks a bit flat but NICE WORK WITH THE TEXTURES MAN!

do u alpha blend?

"What direction you should go in depends very much on where you want to end up." - a famous cat :)

Frank Linder

July 11, 2000, 04:47 AM

Hi There

Trying to answer you questions in order.

Yes I have a demo, but no own web-site. Mail me at Baron_3d@Hotmail.com if you like a demo.

The trees are in 3D, with 3 to 4 vertical and 1 to 2 two horizontal planes.

Yes, the sky need some work, but right now that have low priority.
The fog color could be brighter. I wish I could have the fog more away, but that is impossible with my engine. Right now the land-cash take over 7Mb of ram. If I double the fog distance the cash take 28Mb, and that is too much (The cash holds the data in hardware TnL friendly way).And the framerate would also be too low, now I get 20 to 40 fps (18 to 50 fps in extreme). An Athlon+128Mbram+Geforce2 would be nice, but too expensive right now.

It is a heightmap, 512x512 = 16x16km 32m between heightvalues. I use some sort of curvefitting algorithm combined with extra effects like ravines, craters, roads(not ready yet), paths(not ready yet) and sin-waves.
Each "heightvalue" could be leaned and the curvefitting algorithm could be changed (something like: linear, cubic and something more extreme. Cubic by default).

Surfaces that lean over a certain angle is rock. Where tu=x*factor1+y*factor2 and tv=height*factor3. This is not perfect but it is mostly good enough. Perhapes one could alphablend a texture with tu=x*factor4-y*factor5 and tv=height*factor6 on top.?
I also add some randomness to x,y,z coordinates.

Surfaces that are over or under a certain level could be of an another sort (see grass/sand around the sea).

There is no pre calculated surface, all heights and texturing is calculated in fly and it is only stored in a cash.

Frank Linder