Submitted by Luke Hodorowicz, posted on June 30, 2000

Image Description, by Luke Hodorowicz

This is an early shot of my cartoon rendering engine:
Features:
  • Adjustable light sources
  • Adjustable shadow colors (i.e. the blue shadow on the white cloth)
  • Adjustable shadow location - starts the shadowing colors anywhere between 0 and 180 degrees from the light source.
  • OpenGL rendering
  • Wavefront OBJ model loading

• [prev]

Bemmu Sepponen

June 30, 2000, 05:37 AM

Looks astounding. I hope we'll see cartoon style rendering used more.
    I've always liked cartoonish style. I have an anime collection for proof.

It's nicer to see an image that doesn't try to look realistic, but tries to
    look good. As compared to an image that tries to look realistic, but
    just isn't quite there.

Where to from now, new-born child?

The net is vast and infinite.

Albert Sandberg

June 30, 2000, 07:42 AM

Nice one you got there Luke.

Are you using standard models here or some own format?

Also, how do you figure out where to put those cool black lines under her lips?

Good work and good luck with the rest of the engine
    Albert Sandberg

Jaap Suter

June 30, 2000, 10:03 AM

Looks Awesome man!!!

My compliments!!!

Jaap Suter

z80

June 30, 2000, 10:06 AM

Very nice :) Cool 3d model!

Are you planning to make an animation too? Would be interesting to see how the shadows perform when things are moving.

BLooD

June 30, 2000, 10:31 AM

--> Not bad

NutritiousTreat

June 30, 2000, 10:34 AM

How many polys?

Can you make the model available?

Did you do anything more than what Jeff Lander covered in his two GDMag articles?

Hannu

June 30, 2000, 11:23 AM

That model is one of the default models in Poser 4.0 :)

But cool-looking cartoon-style anyway!

Jonas Risbrandt

June 30, 2000, 12:44 PM

Looks VERY nice.

Are those black "wrikles" on her dress in the texture or are they generated in another way?

Prophylon

June 30, 2000, 04:01 PM

Ohhhhhh Ahhhhhhh
    Nice work matey :)

Luke Hodorowicz

June 30, 2000, 06:26 PM

Hey all - thanks for the compliments - my ultimate goal is to be able to render cartoon movies with full environments, animations, etc - At least thats what I'm hoping.

To answer a few questions:

Albert Sandberg - I check the angle between all triangles that share edges to find sharp angles. If the angle is higher than a certain value, I draw the edge.

z80 - I probably will do some animations - Although right now the engine isn't fast enough to do them real time. I'll maybe make some mpegs. Currently I only get about 10-15 FPS for that model, but there is room for optimzation. I'm interested to see how the shadows behave also. Rotating around the model does look nice though and the shadows are pretty nice.

NutritiousTreat - The model is somewhere around 60,000 Triangles. I did somethings similar as jeff lander, but I didn't use the dotprod of the light and vertex normal as an index into a 1D texture - I have a 1D texture were all the colors are evenly spaced. I have a function that generates 1D texture coords based upon threshold values that I can modify at runtime. This way I have a lot more control on how things look.

Jonas Risbrandt - I do the lines in the dress the same way I answered Alberts question

-Luke

Luther

July 01, 2000, 05:29 AM

Very nice.. you should try doing thicker lines though, one pixel edges don't always work so well at high resolutions. The model is very nice indeed and really works well. The object looks pretty polygon heavy though, what are your frame rates like and how many polygons are in there?

Tim.

crum

July 01, 2000, 02:33 PM

Amazing, Luke. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with
    in the future. How do you get the outline around the model?

Daniel