Submitted by John van der Burg, posted on June 26, 2000

Image Description, by John van der Burg

To join the terrain screenshot parade again, here are some screenshots from the current Oxygen3D terrain system. Lighting is disabled in this picture, because I'm working on that now. I have lighting in the terrain system already, which it is vertex color based. Will upgrade that to lightmaps. Another almost finished feature of the terrain system is the occlusion system, which performs very well (when you are not viewing from top ofcourse). It automatically disables the occlusion system when you are viewing at an angle where occlusion won't have any much influence anymore, and will only slow down because of the unneeded checks.

It's nothing really special yet. Stay tuned for some real kickass shots :)

- John

Betelgeuse

June 26, 2000, 11:56 AM

Is that Yogi-bear I see?

Heh. Nice work guys!

joe

June 26, 2000, 12:59 PM

What happened to the "next" and "prev" IOTD buttons? 8-(

Random

June 26, 2000, 01:37 PM

Looks great! I'm curious how they generate their roads...

Gemini

June 26, 2000, 01:51 PM

Yep how do you generate the roads John? The snow and rock looks like it is done as follows -
If current area is flat then place snow texture (Found by finding the gradient of the face/surface)
If current area is on incline(has a large gradient) then place rock texture.

I think that the roads could be found by simply avoiding hills, a little like following the path water would follow.

________

Gemini

Pascalix

June 26, 2000, 06:05 PM

I think, Iíve been somewhere like this for my winter hollidays :) just the ski-lifts are missing.
(the above translates to: great work!)
Pascalix;

John van der Burg

June 26, 2000, 06:30 PM

Oh, well, this is an 'old' shot already :)
The ones who have seen the terrain movie should have noticed that I almost finished the lightmap generation for the terrain.
Only some small buggies left :)

Btw, it's not fun to trace over 16 million rays through a 32+ million polygon world :) Took about 50 minutes using a quadtree :)
But that's still pretty fast for lightmap generation on high quality I think.

Uuuuhm, the roads can be placed in Hydrogen, and the roads will automatically be placed on the terrain.

And it will contain a complete trafic system, to let cars drive and try to pass eachother etc. And sometimes also accidents will happen :)
And you can setup weather conditions. So while viewing your world, it might suddenly start snowing or raining :)

I'll grab some new shots tomorrow I think. But maybe it's more fair not to make my screenshots image of the day for several days in a row.
Maybe I'll post them on the O3D forum on flipcode, cause the mysticgd.com page probably won't be updated till September (I'm too lazy for that :)

- John

crum

June 26, 2000, 11:48 PM

What kind of frame rates are you getting with this? It looks very
nice.

Tane Piper

June 27, 2000, 07:18 AM

Hey, I thought it was a sketch at first (in the little IOTD box), but then i see its done in realtime..whoo.

Very sweet, I do hope to see more.

John van der Burg

June 27, 2000, 09:40 AM

The framerate from the shots is in a range of 20-40 fps
without hardware TnL on a P3-600.

I just created some new shots. Making some better shadows (in this shot there are no shadows :)
Will post some later today or tomorrow!

- John

John van der Burg

June 27, 2000, 11:05 AM

Just uploaded some new shots, with better lightmaps as in the movie.
Also no hard edges around the shadows anymore.
Unfortunately I placed the sun too low, so the shadows are a bit too big to make it look really nice.
But you might still like them :)

Check them out at:

- John

Gemini

June 27, 2000, 01:42 PM

I just checked the new shots out, Very impressive!
What release date do you have on the game that you are working on? (Hydrogen)

____

Gemini

John van der Burg

June 27, 2000, 02:41 PM

No, Hydrogen is the editor which comes with Oxygen3D.
I can't tell much about the game stuff yet. Top secret :)
But as soon as I can tell more I'll let you all know :)

ilian

June 27, 2000, 06:51 PM

wow, cool shadows... lightmaps ?

what kind of quadtree algorithm you use ?

John van der Burg

June 29, 2000, 04:23 PM

Yes lightmaps.

What kind of quadtrees? Just quadtrees :)

- John

Kurt Miller

June 29, 2000, 05:00 PM

[ignore this message, just fixing something w/the message board]