Submitted by Ilian Stoianov, posted on June 21, 2000

- an my old work dated 1998
- that's all

Ilian

Kevin

June 21, 2000, 01:12 PM

Ilian,

your description says the terrain is ray-traced? Can you expand on that? Does that mean the image you posted is a raytraced heightmap, or is it constructed from polygons? Does the image come from a realtime simulation? Do you intend to post a webpage providing more detail?

Kevin

Max

June 21, 2000, 03:18 PM

I'm guessing that by ray traced, he means pre-computing the lighting using a ray tracing, since it doesn't make too much sense to use lightmaps when the image is generated using a ray tracer.

Max

Ttn

June 21, 2000, 04:27 PM

Actually, I think he means a raytraced voxel. Although it looks a bit poly-ish :)

Ttn

Pentagram

June 22, 2000, 06:13 AM

He may use raytracing to do vis checking for the landscape polygons.

Alex Taylor

June 23, 2000, 03:01 AM

He's says he uses lightmaps and vertex lighting - possible yes, likely no.

ilian

June 27, 2000, 11:45 AM

ops, I missed my IOTD, working at our last (hunting :)) game

- it is real-time simulation... ie. you can fly above terrain etc.

- it is fully polygonal - no voxels :)

- ray-tracing is used when terrain data is prepaing - I use a kind of ray-traced height field

- light-maps are pregenerated by ray-tracing & material applying

- bump mapping is a just a kind of normal map applied by texture modulation

- it uses a kind of projective view-frame oclussion algorithm

- feel free to send me emails if you have more questions