Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Efficient Bounding Boxes Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Kilbert

July 10, 1999, 04:00 AM

Hey, I'm thinking about possible ways to do collision detection using bounding boxes. What I've thought about so far is having a bounding box that rotates along w/ the object, one that's faces are always along the axises.

The first one seems to be the harder, and coming up w/ a box using just 2 points in 3d space would be hard. The second one seems like it would be the fastest, but the clipping on it might pose a problem when the object rotates.

Bounding spheres might work, but they won't work to my liking for a humanoid shape w/ arms and legs that will have their own bounding boxes. So I'm looking for any hints, ideas, URLs, etc. taht may be of some help.

later,
Kilbert

Richard Nelson

July 12, 1999, 03:07 AM

You might want to try "stacked spheres." Basically, you keep track of multiple spheres, each with a center point defined by a joint, limb, or vertex of your character. Since collisions with spheres are really quick to calculate, there is no reason that you just have to use just one...

Richard

Kilbert

July 13, 1999, 02:59 AM

>>You might want to try "stacked spheres." Basically, you keep track of multiple spheres, >>each with a center point defined by a joint, limb, or vertex of your character. Since >>collisions with spheres are really quick to calculate, there is no reason that you just have >>to use just one...

for the game i will most likely do for the abyssware contest, i realized that spheres would be perfect since it is going to be space based and the ships will have shields. i didn't come up w/ that until after i posted the message. though bounding boxes will be used in my 3d engine once i get to programming that later.

later,
Kilbert

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.