Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / OCTREE TRAVERSAL??? Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Lennox

July 07, 1999, 08:37 PM

I think I have the idea on how to build the octree down in my head. The only thing that I need to know how to do now is to draw the given partitions/subdivisions. I have worked in voxels, so I think I can implement a v system or polygon inclusion to draw an overhead rendering of the divisions, but this would be wasteful. Does anyone know how to do a cone or some toehr algorithm to draw the octree. If so it would be very helpful. I want to be one of the only people out there using octrees since I haven't seen any sources for them yet.
PS : If you look at them, they are much easier than bsp trees. Kinda like doom bsp->quake bsp, voxels->octrees

lennox

July 10, 1999, 09:33 AM

one kind of solution that I came up with is to do like a prism from the origin.
I would shoot it out and use it like a regular portal sector. This means that
I would just test cubes to see if the prism is either inside a cube r contains a cube
then draw it. If it engulfs a whole cube then we can stop testing and draw all that cubes
children. If it doesn't include a whole cube, then we simply exclude the cube and all it's
children. For partially engulfed cubes or a box that contains the prism, we have to
continue checking against the prism.
If anyone has a better method of accomplishing this, please let me know. I am having
a bit of trouble initializing the tree, so bare with me. I will prob let everyone know when
I have a demo available.

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.