Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Hey I Am New Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

QbCtek

July 04, 1999, 12:48 AM

Hello, i am new and i don't know much about c++. can any one tell me how to play midi files and wave files also avi files thankyou

Blah

July 04, 1999, 03:39 PM

QbCtek wrote:
>>Hello, i am new and i don't know much about c++. can any one tell me how to play midi files and wave files also avi files thankyou

Playing music and sound is very specific to the operating system you are programming on.
Assuming that you are programming for Windows, I would suggest using DirectX, because the
Win32 API just doesn't give you enough control. Go to the MSDN Online Library
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?FinishURL=/msdn/library/default.htm), click Platform
SDK, then Graphics and Multimedia Services, and finally, click Microsoft DirectX 6.1.
Here you can find all the documentation on DirectSound and DirectMusic, which you can use to
play wav and midi files, respectively. (I can't remember if you have to register or not to
use the MSDN Online Library. If it does ask you to register, then make sure you do, because
MSDN is a extremely valuable resource when it comes to DirectX) If you haven't downloaded
the DirectX SDK, then download it from this page: http://www.triax.com/ben/directx/dxsdk.html.
So start learning DirectX, keep brushing up on your C and C++ skills. Oh yeah, I don't know
how to use avi files. Anyway, good luck!

----Blah

QbCtek

July 04, 1999, 11:37 PM

>>
>>----Blah
>>
Thankyou I Hope My Game Is Going To Be Real Good. Good Luck To You To With Anything You Do
And Does Direct X Do Graphics In 3d and how do i load them in c++

Blah

July 05, 1999, 03:30 PM

QbCtek wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>
>>>>----Blah
>>>>
>>Thankyou I Hope My Game Is Going To Be Real Good. Good Luck To You To With Anything You Do
>>And Does Direct X Do Graphics In 3d and how do i load them in c++

DirectX has an extension called Direct3D, which is designed to do 3d graphics using hardware
acceleration whenever possible. However, judging from the type of questions you are asking,
I highly suggest that you master 2d graphics before you attempt to program a 3d game. That's
how I got started, and I would wager that a lot of programmers on this board would agree.
Good luck

----Blah

P.S. Why Do You Type Your Messages Like This

QbCtek

July 16, 1999, 10:45 PM

hey how do i use direct x.

This thread contains 5 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.