Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Dynamic Visibility Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Nuno Fonseca

June 22, 1999, 03:42 PM

Anybody knows what algorithm they use in Insomnia Software's game "Decay"
They call it DVA (dynamic visibility analysis) so anyone of you gurus out there can shed some light into this....

Conor Stokes

June 23, 1999, 08:52 AM

Nuno Fonseca wrote:
>>Anybody knows what algorithm they use in Insomnia Software's game "Decay"
>>They call it DVA (dynamic visibility analysis) so anyone of you gurus out there can shed some light into this....
>>
If you look at Phantoms visibility DOC, spefically algorithm 2, you will see it. Dynamic
areas can be handled using a mini s-buffer. So the algorithm is efficient, lowlevel, generic, and takes little pre-computation time.

Conor Stokes

Nuno Fonseca

June 25, 1999, 06:25 PM

Conor Stokes wrote:
>>If you look at Phantoms visibility DOC, spefically algorithm 2, you will see it. Dynamic
>>areas can be handled using a mini s-buffer. So the algorithm is efficient, lowlevel, generic, and takes little pre-computation time.
>>
Ok i think i understand it, also this mini s-buffer can also be used with algorithm I, using a c-buffer for a mode's visibility test and using this mini s-buffer for the nodes polygons(you don't have to clip a node's polygons with previous nodes, just do it for the current node and then feed this mini s-buffer to the c-buffer) this way you can speed the s-buffer technique by limiting the number of spans to clip with (there are only a limited number of polygons per node)...

Also how does one do dynamic lighting using the mentioned algorithms?

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.