Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Lightmap generation Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Ake

May 22, 1999, 09:00 PM

I have a polygonal world and some lightsources and I want to generate some lightmaps
for those. How do you do that?

Conor Stokes

May 22, 1999, 11:04 PM

Ake wrote:
>>I have a polygonal world and some lightsources and I want to generate some lightmaps
>>for those. How do you do that?
>>
Well the most basic way would be to simply render your lighting and shadows to seperate maps.

But you can do slightly better things, such as checking the standard differention and
difference from the lines of best fit to determine the size of the lightmaps (a more
contrasting less linear map becomes higher detail) you could also instead use a polygon
splitting approach and then work out each triangle seperately.

It is up to you.

Jaap Suter

May 23, 1999, 05:28 AM

Have you read Kurt Millers (psykics) first tech file? I does a cool explanation on lightmaps over there. Be sure to check it out

See ya!

Jaap

Ake

May 23, 1999, 08:00 AM

Thanx, Kurts techfile was just what I was looking for.

Ake

May 23, 1999, 10:12 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong but Kurt's method wouldn't result in any goodlooking shadow like
in Quake, would it?

Jaap Suter

May 24, 1999, 08:37 AM

I believe not. :(

This thread contains 6 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.