Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  
 
News Articles Search    
 

 Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Solid BSP Account Manager
 
Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.
 
Infinite Reboot

May 16, 1999, 07:58 PM

Hi, can some1 point me to docs about solid leaf BSPs, coz i can't find any. I ve allready implemented a node-based bsp, but all docs i find are about node based bsp
I need docs about solid leaf ones, and especially about the applications for raycasting and stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

IR

 
Dan Royer

May 17, 1999, 01:30 AM



Infinite Reboot wrote:
>>Hi, can some1 point me to docs about solid leaf BSPs, coz i can't find any. I ve allready implemented a node-based bsp, but all docs i find are about node based bsp
>>I need docs about solid leaf ones, and especially about the applications for raycasting and stuff.

IR: I've got a couple of tutorials on BSPs (both node- and leaf-based), PVS and programming in general. Check 'em out at http://24.112.84.101/tutorials/index.shtml. Hope that helps!

 
Eddy Akman

May 20, 1999, 07:29 AM

Constructing a solid BSP-tree is very easy. You choose your splitting plane like you would normally do, but you tag that polygon as 'used' and when making a BSP for a subspace you give it all polygons that are in the subspace *plus* the splitting polygon. (Polygons that are 'used' can never be chosen to be a splitting-polygon.) And you go on doing this until there are no more 'un-used' polygons.

Greetz,

----

Eddya

Infinite Reboot wrote:
>>Hi, can some1 point me to docs about solid leaf BSPs, coz i can't find any. I ve allready implemented a node-based bsp, but all docs i find are about node based bsp
>>I need docs about solid leaf ones, and especially about the applications for raycasting and stuff.
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>IR

 
Infinite Reboot

May 20, 1999, 08:31 AM



Eddy Akman wrote:
>>Constructing a solid BSP-tree is very easy. You choose your splitting plane like you would normally do, but you tag that polygon as 'used' and when making a BSP for a subspace you give it all polygons that are in the subspace *plus* the splitting polygon. (Polygons that are 'used' can never be chosen to be a splitting-polygon.) And you go on doing this until there are no more 'un-used' polygons.
>>
So every poly that is supposed to be on a node is sent down the fronat AND the back lists ???

 
Eddy Akman

May 20, 1999, 10:02 AM

Yep.

-----

Eddya / E-mersion Project


Infinite Reboot wrote:
>>
>>
>>Eddy Akman wrote:
>>>>Constructing a solid BSP-tree is very easy. You choose your splitting plane like you would normally do, but you tag that polygon as 'used' and when making a BSP for a subspace you give it all polygons that are in the subspace *plus* the splitting polygon. (Polygons that are 'used' can never be chosen to be a splitting-polygon.) And you go on doing this until there are no more 'un-used' polygons.
>>>>
>>So every poly that is supposed to be on a node is sent down the fronat AND the back lists ???

 
Infinite Reboot

May 21, 1999, 07:32 AM

So then when drawing the tree, wont some polys get drawn twice then ?

Eddy Akman wrote:
>>Yep.
>>
>>-----
>>
>>Eddya / E-mersion Project
>>
>>
>>Infinite Reboot wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Eddy Akman wrote:
>>>>>>Constructing a solid BSP-tree is very easy. You choose your splitting plane like you would normally do, but you tag that polygon as 'used' and when making a BSP for a subspace you give it all polygons that are in the subspace *plus* the splitting polygon. (Polygons that are 'used' can never be chosen to be a splitting-polygon.) And you go on doing this until there are no more 'un-used' polygons.
>>>>>>
>>>>So every poly that is supposed to be on a node is sent down the fronat AND the back lists ???

 
Eddy Akman

May 22, 1999, 07:09 AM

No, a leafy bsp tree has the exact same properties as an ordinary one, except
that the polygons are stored in leaves instead of nodes..

Infinite Reboot wrote:
>>So then when drawing the tree, wont some polys get drawn twice then ?
>>
>>Eddy Akman wrote:
>>>>Yep.
>>>>
>>>>-----
>>>>
>>>>Eddya / E-mersion Project
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Infinite Reboot wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Eddy Akman wrote:
>>>>>>>>Constructing a solid BSP-tree is very easy. You choose your splitting plane like you would normally do, but you tag that polygon as 'used' and when making a BSP for a subspace you give it all polygons that are in the subspace *plus* the splitting polygon. (Polygons that are 'used' can never be chosen to be a splitting-polygon.) And you go on doing this until there are no more 'un-used' polygons.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>So every poly that is supposed to be on a node is sent down the fronat AND the back lists ???

 
This thread contains 7 messages.
 
 
Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.