Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / C-Buffer Shadows Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Parashar Krishnamachari

May 12, 1999, 03:39 PM

I'm working out this algo and I'm using C-Buffers for the visibility test from lights and camera.
My question involves the rotation of Light-viewed spans so that they align with screen-space
spans. This is brought up in S-Buffer shadowing, too. Is this really necessary if your test
only involves a single point? That is -- I'm not checking whole spans as to which parts are
not visible from the light -- I'm only checking individual points. I'm doing this for the purpose
of soft shadows... And don't think I'm checking every point like in a Z-Buffer. But basically,
the question is -- isn't a point a point, no matter what view it's rendered from?
Um... the other thing is... is there a fast way to compute the view from an omnidirectional lightsource? Most of the lightsources in my engine are omnidirectional, and my current solution for full field view rendering involves multiple windows.... is there something you can do to the perspective transform matrix to get a full 360 view? I guess it would have a sort of fisheye lens effect, and is that really an accurate space to test for occlusion? (Note that I'm still talking about testing only for a single point).

- C.P.I. / ASMiNC

This thread contains 1 message.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.