Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / 3D Engine Types Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Todd

May 05, 1999, 10:19 AM

I am a 3D newbie and have a few simple questions. What is a 6DOF engine (I know it allows u to look/walk in all drections)? How does a 6DOF differ from a Portal, BSP, or Vortex engine? Doesn't a BSP engine allow u to walk in all directions? What type of engine is Q3 using? What type of engine is the best for a begginer to create? My last question is are there any good News Groups for 3d programming? Sorry for all of the lame questoins (I figured I would skip the chase and come to the experts). Thanks for any help anyone could give me.

Also I want to tell The Phantom thanks for that killer 3d portal engine column!

Tim Smith

May 05, 1999, 02:51 PM

6DOF is more of a feature than an engine type.

Jaap Suter

May 06, 1999, 05:39 AM

Hi

Nowadays 6DOF is pretty common. Descent was the first game featuring true 6dof. It means that you can look and move in all directions. In doom you could only look forward since it wasn't a 6DOF 3dengine. The decision to build a bsp, portal, or other engine does not matter for the 6dof part. All data structures can be used to look in all directions.

I do not know what quake3 uses but it's probably very nifty again. :)

The only good newsgroup i know when it comes to 3dprogramming is the glide newsgroup. I was there a lot discussion none glide topics and especcially 3dtheory. Currently i tend to stick with the flipcode and sweetoblivions messageboards.

If you got anymore questions do not hesitate to mail me!

Jaap Suter

Conor Stokes

May 07, 1999, 11:25 AM

Jaap Suter wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>Nowadays 6DOF is pretty common. Descent was the first game featuring true 6dof. It means that you can look and move in all directions. In doom you could only look forward since it wasn't a 6DOF 3dengine. The decision to build a bsp, portal, or other engine does not matter for the 6dof part. All data structures can be used to look in all directions.
>>
>>I do not know what quake3 uses but it's probably very nifty again. :)
>>
>>The only good newsgroup i know when it comes to 3dprogramming is the glide newsgroup. I was there a lot discussion none glide topics and especcially 3dtheory. Currently i tend to stick with the flipcode and sweetoblivions messageboards.
>>
>>If you got anymore questions do not hesitate to mail me!
>>
>>Jaap Suter
>>
>>
>>
I'm pretty sure Quake3 is again based on the Poor PVS + BSP, because I know John Carmack is
sticking with BSP, and from some of the overdraw benchmarks Brian Hook posten in his .plan,
he said there was a lot of polygons, and a lot of overdraw.

Conor Stokes

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.