Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Beginning 3D Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Michael K

April 12, 1999, 03:51 AM

Hi,
I'm about to embark on learning 3D for a game I want to make. I've spent ages on the 'net reading documents and staring at other peoples code but nothing has been very good for a _complete_ beginner. Could someone recommend a good book to start with?

Thanks

Jaap Suter

April 12, 1999, 03:58 AM

Welcome,

First of all i reccomend reading Phantom's colum on this site. It's great and you
will learn a lot a lot from it.

Books i read and learned a lot from:
1. Computer Graphics, principles and practice. ---- (Don't know the authors name anymore)
Great book, although a little bit academical. If that is what you want you should definitly
get a copy. I explains every damn thing you want to know.
2. The black art of 3d game Programming ------ Andre Lamothe
Great book for beginners. Uses plain C and no C++ and is a little dated but all the
theoratical stuff in it still applys. Bit expensive though.

I read both books and liked them both. They are very different and the first one is
more complete but the second one is more readable. I suggest buying the first and lend
the second.

Jaap Suter

Eddy Akman

April 12, 1999, 11:21 AM

Make sure to check this website on the basics of 3d.

members.xoom.com/3dcoding/

or

www.resourcium.com/3d

or

www.sweetoblivion.com

Greetz,

Eddya

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.