Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / how about that? (for harmless) Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

panic

April 07, 1999, 05:57 PM

well, i have noticed lately this harmless guy :) that has been wandering around here and replying to a lot of people...
i have also noticed that he is far from being a novice in 3d graphics programming. in fact, he's the most documented and experienced 3d coder i got to know so far (hmmm, after 24 engines
i guess you get SOME experience...:))
so harmless, my point is: as far as i saw (both from the letters recently posted on your site and from the recent replies on thsi forum), you can easily write practically hundreds of lines in a letter, why not try and write a "how to do your 3d engine using these wonderful new techniques" series of tutorials? i guess it'll be a good source of new topics on the discussion list as well as important feedback for the unexperienced...
i understand writing such documentation will only be time-consumin, as the knowledge is THERE...
i hope you consider my suggestions and i'm sure others would be more than happy should you coose to do so...

greets
-panic

Harmless

April 07, 1999, 07:33 PM

Flattery will get you everywhere. =)

panic wrote:
>> so harmless, my point is: as far as i saw (both from the letters recently posted on your site and from the recent replies on thsi forum), you can easily write practically hundreds of lines in a letter, why not try and write a "how to do your 3d engine using these wonderful new techniques" series of tutorials? i guess it'll be a good source of new topics on the discussion list as well as important feedback for the unexperienced... i understand writing such documentation will only be time-consumin, as the knowledge is THERE... i hope you consider my suggestions and i'm sure others would be more than happy should you coose to do so...

I would but...

I'm starting to spend about 6 hours a day writing as a sideline. Fantasy, not technical
writing. I stopped writing articles a couple of years ago to get my free time back.

Anything I write formally generally reflects upon me as a writer, which requires me to
invest a lot more effort into it than I do into just rattling off an email off the cuff.
Were I to write something more formal I'd have to supply concrete examples, rigorously
support my claims, and provide mathematical analysis of individual algorithms.

I wouldn't mind writing a book on the subjects kicked around here, unfortunately that
would basically involve closeting myself for 9 months to write something, finding a
technical writing agent and a publisher for a book which has an admittedly short
shelf-life and a rather small marketing demographic, when I can't really spare the time.

A portion of my income comes from licensing out technology. Sharing ideas doesn't hurt
that. Sharing implementations may.

I like having a social life.

I prefer to remain an enigma. =)

On the other hand, I've been considering it a lot in the last couple of months since I stopped working on anything 'official', and don't have to worry about slitting my own throat by disclosing too much information.

I agree to consider it.

-Harmless

Thierry Tremblay

April 07, 1999, 09:35 PM

I must say that I am too quite impressed by your technical expertise Harmless, and I am glad you are willing to share your ideas by answering my questions. I think you already helped me a lot with that octree(kdtree)/bsp hybrid approach.

I dont think writting "tutorials" is quite beneficial... They tend to contain outdated stuff quite fast... On the other hand, information on basic algorithm is sometimes quite difficult to optain when you don't know where to look.

Best regards,

Thierry

Harmless

April 08, 1999, 03:19 PM

Thierry Tremblay wrote:
>>I dont think writting "tutorials" is quite beneficial... They tend to contain outdated stuff quite fast... On the other hand, information on basic algorithm is sometimes quite difficult to optain when you don't know where to look.

Ok, I have just agreed to write a column here on various algorithms. Most of the things I'll be discussing are mutually exclusive approaches to things and the relative strengths and weaknesses of each approach.

Again, it'll be overview material, enough information that someone familiar with linear algebra, the bsp faq, general portal concepts, etc can turn around and apply a subset of what is discussed in their own engine. Everything can't apply to everyone, because many approaches are mutually exclusive.

-Harmless

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.