Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Message for Harmless (and others) Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Thierry Tremblay

April 06, 1999, 11:05 AM

Hi Harmless...

I just visited your site and there is great stuff there. I am currently seeking more informations on visibility determination using beamtrees. Could you provide me with links and/or more informations about them?

My Frog Engine currently use portal rendering and I'd like to move to something that is not so restrictive about world modelling. BSPs as in Quake engines are out of the question for me, I want to create dynamic worlds with a lot of moving polygons.

Thierry

Harmless

April 06, 1999, 02:37 PM

Thierry Tremblay wrote:
>>I just visited your site and there is great stuff there. I am currently seeking more informations on visibility >> determination using beamtrees. Could you provide me with links and/or more informations about them?
>>My Frog Engine currently use portal rendering and I'd like to move to something that is not so restrictive >> about world modelling. BSPs as in Quake engines are out of the question for me, I want to create dynamic >> worlds with a lot of moving polygons.

I have a rather large collection of letters I've sent back and forth on the subject, since you aren't the first to display an interest in the subject I'll see what I can do to clean them up and post them on my site.

Beamtree vis requires some form of BSP tree, even if you octree youtself down to 50 polygons or so before you BSP the leaves. (Which helps greatly because n^3 for 50 polygons is a hell of a lot better than ) n^3 for 70,000.

Also the beamtree mentioned in the c-buffer vs. segment buffer discussion can only be effectively used in the hybrid octree/bsp environment, because the octree faces provide 'portals' to cull the larger scene with.

-Harmless

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.