Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Random Bits and Everything Else / Flipcode created, died, returned, then fizzled Account Manager

zeroth

March 28, 2013, 02:04 PM

I remember back when flipcode first went offline, and then found it had made a return sometime later. The "Daily Flip" always alerted me of some very interesting stuff. But I see the front page is now kind of blank and the news archive shows the news has really dwindled ...

Whats the current status of this site? Is it dying again?

Mike Taylor

April 01, 2013, 10:23 AM

Flipcode is dead.

Long live Flipcode.

Though seriously, I was thrilled just to have the Daily Flip around. Just having a good eye on the community at large was very helpful. In the day you could read Flipcode and GameDev and Gamasutra and a small number of other sites and forums and pretty much be on top of the amateur level of the game. Now all the interesting things are hiding in blogs, and for those of us who didn't pay attention during the transition it's hard to keep up with who to keep up with. Hopefully our fearless leader will at least share the fun updates a few times a week like he's been doing, even if the relaunch hasn't really worked out.

Chris

April 02, 2013, 07:36 AM

I am always waiting for the daily flip, I love to read them. Looking forward to when they return.

Bengt Ericsson

April 03, 2013, 12:40 PM

I also visit the site daily for some new flips.

Maybe we should make it similar to http://news.ycombinator.com but for game dev related topics?

gumby

April 17, 2013, 01:48 PM

Last post

SquaredD

April 25, 2013, 04:17 AM

I know the archives are really old, but I still can find good usable code and ideas in it. That's why I like this site, but it doesn't seem to get nearly as much traffic as some other sites.

Chris

April 25, 2013, 05:05 AM

What happen to the daily flip? bring it back!!! I love reading them.

Kurt, how about allowing moderators post things on the daily flip if its too much of a burden? Where we can all point to interesting new announcements & things?

Yoel Shoshan

April 27, 2013, 04:31 PM

I really liked this site, i hope it will be alive again!

Personally, i don't mind if it will have ads on top or something, whatever it takes to keep it running :)

Also, feel free to share with us if you need "the community" to assist you in some way.

Ovan

April 28, 2013, 11:32 AM

this is sad, I like the daily flip
bring it back

imerso

August 04, 2013, 10:35 AM

This site has a huge historical value to many people, including myself. It brought tears to my eyes when I read that it was coming back.

As much as I love flipcode, though, I dont really have time to contribute. I dont know what I was really expecting to happen, but fact is, the projects I'm currently working are all commercial and under NDAs, so I cannot post screenshots or talk about them. That effectively limits what I can post around.

Maybe that is what is happening to most of the old times people?

My respect, flipcode was and still is the best game development site I know about.

This thread contains 10 messages.

If you'd like to post a comment on this discussion thread, please log in or create an account.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.