Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Visual Studio 2012 Account Manager

DirtyPunk

September 14, 2012, 12:17 AM

So how is everyone finding the new version of Visual Studio? Haven't made the upgrade yet, but I'm keen to hear some opinions!

Squishymonster

September 14, 2012, 12:16 PM

I ended up purchasing Pro a couple of weeks ago. I've spent maybe 20 hours in it so far. I don't see any negatives yet. The new UI style is quite a step up. The only new feature that I notice and appreciate is when you single click on a file in the solution explorer it will open it and place a temporary tab on the right side of the center pane, instead of opening it in the "permanent" list with tab on left during double click. This makes it faster to quick reference code.

Overall I bought it for access to MFC and various .NET features, and my need for those just happened to line up with the new release.

I know that's not much to go on, but that's all I can offer so far :) I would always recommend anyone stick with Express unless they have a need to upgrade from there.

mcmihai

September 17, 2012, 04:48 PM

I anyone using both 2010 and 2012 on the same machine? Any issues?

spalt_er

September 19, 2012, 08:09 AM

No issues so far using 2010 and 2012 together on the same windows installation. Only converting projects with several external dependencies needs a bit of work.

Bad Sector

September 20, 2012, 09:36 AM

I'm considering buying it (even though it is pricey here in Poland - ~$750), but i might try the Express version first. Also i'm writing mostly C code that causes Intellisense to trip over. The debugger though is a big help and i'd like to have access to stuff like MFC and plugins.

galop1n

September 22, 2012, 10:39 AM

I recently did the jump from visual 2008 + visual assit to visual 2012 and it is really worth it. The IDE is far more responsive than the previous version and imho, i love the new layout.

They also mostly stole the visual assist key feature, merging the looking for file and symbol feature into the new solution explorer. They extend the syntax colorization far by more than visual assist too. I love to be able to distinguish between local variables, method parameters and class member for example!

The background code compilation to perform syntax error detection while typing code is also a really nice feature working really well with an intellisense that i will describe best as under steroids :)

As a graphics programmer, i was concerned with the new integrated pix directly in visual. They took a good direction, but up to now, it miss a lot of crucial feature and is mostly useless for advanced usage up to now :(

The good news is that Microsoft decide to not rely anymore on a model where they shipped visual versions sparse by years without any intermediate updates. They promise that with visual 2012, they will release regular updates to bring more features into the tools. As an example, They already mention they will add new C++11 core language feature and improve the graphic diagnostics pix !

Buddy

October 03, 2012, 12:04 AM

Upgraded from 2008 to 2012 and it's much nicer! My main complaint isn't even a "real" one... just that they decided to put all the menu text in upper-case (see: http://www.richard-banks.org/2012/06/how-to-prevent-visual-studio-2012-all.html).

Other than that, it's nicer in general, though I find it takes significantly longer to load symbols when opening a crash dump...

davepermen

October 10, 2012, 02:48 AM

I love visual studio 2012. I have 2010 Express for Phone installed in parallel, works perfectly.

And yes, the fact that they can update most of it without releasing a new version, and do so, is awesome. I got quite some updates by now (mostly the webdev world).

The new TypeScript language had first support in visual studio within 24 hours or so, It's really impressive.

imerso

November 15, 2012, 07:29 AM

I used to like Visual Studio a lot, but for some reason recently I'm liking more to use Eclipse than VS. =)

Also I noticed how Linux has evolved recently...

imerso

November 15, 2012, 07:30 AM

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that Eclipse loads almost instantly under my i7 while VS destroys the HD loading I dont know what...

imerso

November 15, 2012, 07:32 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention how MonoDevelop is becoming cool as well, for those C# moments...

*** sorry for the spamming, I did not find a way to edit my posts.

sphet

November 15, 2012, 05:41 PM

How big of a change is the file format for project and solution files when compared to MSDev 2010 or MSBuild? We generate a lot of project files and I am trying to measure how big of a pain it will be when time comes.

stefan

December 01, 2012, 06:52 PM

Dunno how the new forum works. I was used to create sub-threads when replying and now i dont even know how to quote properly :(

Imerso: Eclipse is a giant piece of ass. Visual Studio is far superior as an IDE but thats not the question here. Its specific about 2012.

I havent tried 2012 yet, 2010 was an awesome step up from 2008 which i somehow consider being one of the weakest C++ IDEs given its time/predecessor.

And since a colleague of mine f*ed up a msdn subscription for a year i am not likely to upgrade for another year. :(

Bad Sector

December 06, 2012, 09:11 AM

So far VS2012 Express seems fine, although i'm having second thoughts on buying it (expensive and i'm considering switching to Ubuntu once i get a proper desktop PC).

It feels faster, although that might be my faster computer :-P

This thread contains 14 messages.

If you'd like to post a comment on this discussion thread, please log in or create an account.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.