Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Random Bits and Everything Else / Hello flipcode, it's been a while. Account Manager

Squishymonster

September 12, 2012, 01:49 PM

I'm so glad to see flipcode return. I was a regular back in the day and sad to see it shut down. I sort of randomly found out that it was brought back because I went to the old site to find out where everyone moved.

So, on the old site I probably only posted one or two IOTD, but one of them was of my first game Wave 49 under the labels Satellite Moon and Digital.Soapbox. Man a lot has changed in the scene since then. Being indie is half-way legit these days, but I dropped out before that kicked off with Steam and XBLA.

It's kind of funny, I was just talking to my girlfriend yesterday about how before my current gig there were all of these indie folks I was in contact with, but I lost all of that information. I let my old hosting and URL expire so I lost all of my email records and address. Then some URL squatter sat on it for about four years before I got it back on auction.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the resurrection, and maybe randomly connecting with some people again.

The custom engine that drove Wave 49 and my other game, Blastorama is still under active development today. In fact I've been making some good progress on it this year. I started a devlog for it recently at http://www.isaacvanier.net if anyone wants to check it out. When I feel it's more IOTD ready I'll be sure to post something.

Kurt Miller

September 12, 2012, 03:13 PM

Hey there Isaac, welcome back! I remember Satellite Moon. Looking through IOTDs and hearing old member names is such a trip down memory lane ;D I totally agree with how different the scene looks today... it's a pretty exciting time for indie development.

Anyway, I'm glad you stopped by, and I hope you do eventually decide to post some new screenshots of your work as you progress.

Endurion

September 25, 2012, 09:00 AM

My, my, it's been a while. Hope the trolls stay out this time :)

DirtyPunk

September 26, 2012, 12:35 AM

Not even Mr Fellows?

roel

October 01, 2012, 04:44 PM

Ha, I do hope that Mr. Fellows returns, he was my favourite member :)

(and hello all, glad to be back)

piotrekb

October 30, 2012, 03:18 PM

I like reading flipcode news, but sometimes, I don't visit site for some time. How can I read previous news ? (without search in rss). For example news from 20 osctober 2012.

Kurt Miller

October 31, 2012, 07:15 AM

Good question... I just added a link here for all the news archives:
http://www.flipcode.com/news/archives/

And just in case... in addition to the RSS, there's also an active twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/flipcodenews

piotrekb

November 03, 2012, 06:18 PM

Thx Kurt for this archives ;)

dw

November 06, 2012, 10:48 AM

any chance devlogs are going online?

sphet

November 15, 2012, 05:38 PM

Kurt,

Thanks so much for bringing back flipcode - it has been missed!

stefan

November 30, 2012, 02:49 PM

Awesome! Waiting for Fellows!

deftware

December 01, 2012, 04:40 PM

I knew there was *something* to the end of the great mayan calendar cycle. The articles icon-link is null and void, but perhaps it could simply link to the existing www.flipcode.com/archives/ in the meantime?

rco

January 06, 2013, 01:56 AM

Ah... So many fond memories of flipcode, I started reading it around 2001 and never found a 'worthy' successor after it sadly closed.

I learned so much from it, wouldn't doubt is one of the main reasons I broke into the games industry!

Great to see the site is up, cheers Kurt!

LjMjollnir

January 20, 2013, 09:11 PM

Man its been awhile.. i stopped programming not long after this site died... was thinking of getting back into it last month of so..

only noticed the site was back up today when i was cleaning my old links page and thought i better check this one to see if it really is still gone.. so happy its back 8)

bananaboy

January 22, 2013, 06:48 AM

So it's been kinda quiet here, is anything going on? We gotta get these forums active again!

Grr

January 23, 2013, 11:07 AM

Second that. Used to visit here quite often back in the day, so hopefully the site will gain some traction again to get things going.

BRIAN FELLOWS

January 29, 2013, 07:13 PM

WHAT'S GOING ON

SigKILL

January 30, 2013, 12:41 PM

LOL :)

Now we should have Per Vognsen here having all the correct answers...

Gerald Filimonov

February 06, 2013, 11:40 AM

Wow, this brings back some memories. I haven't really coded in a long time, started working in the IT Industry as a storage/SAN Engineer.

Good to see some familiar names. =)

-=[ Megahertz ]=-

callidus

February 20, 2013, 06:22 AM

Just want to chip in and say how glad I am to see the return of flipcode! it's been missed.

AsmCoder

February 28, 2013, 06:01 PM

It's been a while indeed! :)

This thread contains 21 messages.

If you'd like to post a comment on this discussion thread, please log in or create an account.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.