Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Random Bits and Everything Else / Forums Going Online Account Manager

Kurt Miller

September 11, 2012, 01:49 PM

Hey there, welcome to the first go of the new flipcode forums!

For those who are former flipcoders, the forums should look fairly familiar. I'm still working on a few bits of functionality to add, but for the most part it should be straight-forward.

Things came together pretty quickly, so admittedly there wasn't a great deal of testing. But hopefully I'll be around to quickly resolve whatever bugs or issues may arise...

Some usage notes worth knowing:

- Formatting tags are supported, with the following (using [brackets], parens below are just for illustration):

(b) - bold
    (i) - italic
    (u) - underline
    (pre) - pre-formatted text, like this list
    (quote) - an easy way to quote things others said
    (url) or (link) - example: (link=address)link description(/link) 
    (cpp) - syntax-highlight c/c++ source code

Again, in actual use, all of the codes above should use [brackets] instead of parens.

- The 'mark read' system is similar to the old one. When logged in, it deliberately doesn't auto-mark-read posts since your last visit, since you may visit without having time to actually read the things you want. Until you manually use the "Mark All Read" link, they'll continue showing up as new. This may change over time.

- More stuff is coming - this is just the first pass. Once this gets up and running, I expect to be adding more features like message editing, thread subscription, rss feeds, message scoring, and ignore lists just to name a few. If you have any other practical ideas or suggestions, please let me know! That's all for now...

If you don't have an account yet, you can join the community here: http://www.flipcode.com/account/

Tobias Alexander Franke

September 11, 2012, 03:04 PM

Hooray! Thanks for the hard work you put in all of this. Very excited to see flipcode back online. Testing 123

moonbird

September 11, 2012, 03:05 PM

Woooo :D

Morgan

September 11, 2012, 03:38 PM

Thanks, Kurt, it is great to have flipcode back.

-m

gigimoi

September 11, 2012, 03:57 PM

Any chance we can get highlighting support for other major languages? (Python, Java, C# in mind, perhaps via GitHub's Gist)

Otherwise, thank you very much for bringing this back, the nostalgia and value is still here.

CodingCat

September 11, 2012, 03:57 PM

Nice! Hopefully, all those '2005' will vanish soon. Would it be possible to turn down the min-width just a little bit? Leads to a slightly annoying horizontal scroll bar on my 1280 pixels wide monitor.

Jare

September 11, 2012, 06:02 PM

/waves Hi to everyone. Great to be back here!

Mithrandir

September 11, 2012, 07:38 PM

Yay! Thanks for bringing back flipcode, Kurt!

Masfo

September 11, 2012, 09:18 PM

Good to be back!

DirtyPunk

September 11, 2012, 10:20 PM

Sweet.

Jordan

September 11, 2012, 10:25 PM

So... anyone do anything cool?

DirtyPunk

September 12, 2012, 12:29 AM

Just a little bug report; if you don't prefix the website in your profile with "http://" the link resolves to a local one. See Max's profile for an example.

Sol_HSA

September 12, 2012, 03:17 AM

Wheeeee.

_1dt3k_

September 12, 2012, 03:35 AM

I missed the heyday of flipcode but hopefully it comes back in a big way once more. Can't wait to see where this goes and what I can learn from the community.

LorenzoGatti

September 12, 2012, 04:19 AM

I second the request to correct the layout: the stylesheet currently specifies huge widths in px units for all main structural elements (e.g. body is 1280px). There is no reason for such a demand; widths should be 100%, with appropriate margins and padding, obtaining an adaptable layout.
You should use pixel widths only for things like banners and for max-width properties, which would keep text width in check for readers with huge monitors. Seeing min-width: 1024px on body instead is odious.

While you are at it, you might want to get rid of cruft like unneeded nested divs and tables and single-row tables (which can be replaced by ordinary block and inline-block elements)

Kurt Miller

September 12, 2012, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

The link bug should be fixed (thanks DP, and welcome back sir!)

I agree the layout can use some work-- I'll continue tweaking it tonight. Some of the cruft got thrown in while doing testing on all of the major browsers, and finding (my somewhat outdated) IE had it's own way of showing things despite what I humbly request of it. I'm sure there's a way to get it all working nicely though.

In the meanwhile, anyone feel like submitting a new IOTD? It's always fun to see what fellow developers are working on, and they're great conversation starters.

Cheers,
-Kurt

Luis Estrada

September 12, 2012, 09:31 AM

!!

h3r2tic

September 12, 2012, 03:23 PM

Woohoo! Also, Happy Programmers' Day, everyone!

TheSatoshiChiba

September 13, 2012, 06:15 AM

Whoop Whoop! Exciting times!

Buster2000

September 13, 2012, 07:55 AM

Welcome back Flipcode.

Paul-Jan Pauptit

September 14, 2012, 04:05 PM

Awesome. I missed these forums so much!

Bad Sector

September 21, 2012, 05:17 AM

The reply textbox is still too wide and looks to still have a minimum width of ~1280px (it might be its parent or whatever though). The right part of a reply is obscured if your browser is narrower (and there isn't a horizontal scroll bar).

Also i'd like to see a "show new posts since last visit" link up there - assuming it doesn't exist, of course :-).

Beyond that, it looks great and i like the dark pixelly style! Too many sites look all white and bland like hospital rooms (or put around way too many gradient roundboxes).

Will the old (and hopefully new) articles be up any time soon too?

krany

September 21, 2012, 03:37 PM

wb Flipcode!

imerso

September 23, 2012, 01:12 AM

yes! great news!

DM21

September 30, 2012, 06:05 PM

Very excited to see the return of Flipcode! I used to come here all the time back when the site first started, in my fledgling days of programming. So much has changed since then. Here's to the site hopefully returning to its former glory!

Jacmoe

October 04, 2012, 06:31 AM

Flipcode - how I have missed you! :D
You were my favorite game dev site - so glad to see that it rises from the ashes.

It filled a niche which quite frankly haven't been filled by anyone..

CodingCat

October 04, 2012, 11:19 AM

Short note, has the IOTD just vanished?!

Kurt Miller

October 04, 2012, 11:27 AM

Yes, unfortunately the author had to ask me to remove the latest IOTD for now...

Back to an empty queue... :(

The Inflatable T-Rex

October 05, 2012, 01:14 PM

I'm ecstatic to see the site back up. Flipcode is simply irreplaceable. Thanks Kurt.

malifer

October 05, 2012, 01:36 PM

great to see flipcode back. Im trying to remember if this is the same forum color scheme as before. I think it is or its very close. Im not sure if its my monitor or what but because of the colors used everything seemed very clear and easy to read. How clear it was was the first thing i noticed for me. oh well. looking forward to new forum activity.!

This thread contains 40 messages.
First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 ... out of 1) Next Last

If you'd like to post a comment on this discussion thread, please log in or create an account.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.