Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Converting Half-Life / Quake (any) *.MAP files into polygonal meshes Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Vast

May 29, 2005, 06:42 PM

Hey everyone, I would like to know how to convert Half-Life or any of the Quake Series MAP files (the ASCII map files, not BSP).

I was having so many troubles with parsing it (avoiding entities and patches and stuff) and i couldnt even build the mesh off of 1 brush (sad...).

If anyone would let me see some code (something simple, please, I saw some at NEM's site, it was not only VC.net, but also MFC (hate hate hate) I couldnt read any of the code.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out here. Demo with source would be even nicer (to view the outcomes, performance and such).

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Reedbeta

May 30, 2005, 12:51 AM

The source code for the HL compile tools is on the internet somewhere; they obviously have code for reading .MAP files. Maybe this can help you out.

But really, it shouldn't be that hard to roll your own. The MAP format is very simple - you just look for { } to delimit brushes and braces, and each line of a brush gives you a plane equation. It can be a bit tricky to triangulate the polyhedrons from their planes, but again shouldn't be too hard to get working.

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.