Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Nurbs fitting with length restriction Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

MarchingCubes

May 26, 2005, 01:26 AM

Hi,

I want to create a nurbs curve (maybe something else?)passing through some points in space but with a restriction on the length of each curve between the points.

What is the best method?

Any help is appreciated,
Ido

tokjunior

May 26, 2005, 04:18 AM

Intuitively, it feels like if you want a curve to pass through a specific set of points, you would only have one choice, if you use a fixed number of control points. So basically you'd have to generate that curve, integrate to find the length, and if it doesn't fit, you won't have other options.
I can't say i have proof of this, but that's what comes to mind.

MarchingCubes

May 26, 2005, 06:24 AM

Thanks for replying,

Anyway, I could iterate the process, until I find a length close to what I want.

I can force a curve to pass through all the point, and using different biases for each point I can change it length, but still I don't know if its the best way to do it.

Ido

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.