Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Skinned Mesh Question on DirectX Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

yuppies

May 16, 2005, 08:13 AM

i have read this article on the net(www.seas.upenn.edu/~npelecha/CollisionDetection.pdf ) and realize that this technique is more efficient when it comes to detecting collision in skinned mesh

but my question is anyone of you guys already implemented this approach?
and HOW DO I generate or compute bounding box for every bone on my skinned mesh?

juhnu

May 16, 2005, 08:38 AM

Create a bounding box around the vertices a bone influences. It may be useful to use a treshold value and ignore vertices with low weights. I haven't implemented the approach but it sounds interesting - should give it a try actually.

juhani

PixelClear

May 16, 2005, 12:37 PM

Hi,

The way to compute the OOB per bones is explained on page 27-28. You must use Principal Component Analisis (PCA). This is a data processing technique that is used to find an efficient space to represent data. The core of the problem is to find the orientation of the OOB.

First you have to compute the covariance matrix using the given formula. It is a 3x3 matrix. It is computed with all your vertices. If you are not confident with the maths I'll explain you the notation :
the Xi are all the vertices influenced by your bone.
X with a bar on top is the average of all the Xis... just sum them all and divide the result by their number.
The little t on the top right of the first term means transpose, that means that you will consider your vector as a line rather than a column.
for example if one of your Xi is (5, 7, 3) and your averagi is (1, 2, 2)
you have Xi - average = (4, 5, 1) then perform the vector multiply as follow :

2.     4    5    1
  3. 4 / 4*4  4*5  4*1
  4. 5 | 5*4  5*5  5*1 |
  5. 1  1*4  1*5  1*1 /

add all these matrices for each Xi and then invert all the coefficients. You got your covariance matrix. Now you have to compute the eigenvectors of that matrix (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Eigenvector.html). You can find a lot of math libraries that will do that for you. Normalize these 3 vectors, Put them side to side in column and you have the rotation matrix of your OOB.

to compute the size find the min and max on the axis X, Y and Z of each vertices that you will have previously transformed by the inverse of your rotation matrix. Et voila...

As this computation is costly I would advise you to make it as a preprocessing stage.

I hope this helps,

Phil

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.