Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / HELP! Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

zeppelingirl15

May 05, 2005, 12:11 AM

I want to know how the hell to do all this but can someone please explain to me in "COMPLETELY RETARTED" language as to how I even begin. You all can tell how stupid I am, cause I know I misspelled something in that sentence!

Jari Komppa

May 05, 2005, 12:29 AM

Okay, you might start by using a subject that actually describes what you need. Next, what is this "all this" that you're referring to?

Betelgeuse

May 05, 2005, 12:54 PM

Teheeeheehee

Chris

May 05, 2005, 02:52 PM

You're stupid, you misspelled something in that sentence.

Vast

May 05, 2005, 03:02 PM

omg

PixelClear

May 05, 2005, 07:26 PM

mmm... at the beggining there was a bunch of bacterias but very soon it got more structured in a certain way. Maybe not the right one, by the way, though that's not the topic (if there is a topic). Then there where fishes, hamsters, pinguins, cats and squids... and then the all mighty human.
They started to draw into their caves with wooden sticks (which amused them a lot) and they soon discovered the pleasures of microwave, coca-cola and animal crackers (which are, let's admit it, way easyer to hunt at shop&stop than a mammoth). So they built empires with high towers, cars, trains and planes and they decided they where not sufficiently intelligent to make this go on without a certain help. A bunch of very smart guys created machines that helped to think and to solve problems. When they had finished and as they were not satysfied with what they had done, they built some smarter and better one with the help of the formers... by being assisted with this newer and newer technology they became immensely stupid and incapable of thinking any kind of sensible thing by themselves. The worst of it is that by spending so much time and energy building these machines, they came to forget wat they intended to do with them in the first place...

But as far as your question is concerned... I guess the answer is 42.

I hope this helps,

Phil

Vast

May 05, 2005, 08:39 PM

Interesting story there =)

Hey i saw that number EVERYWHERE! (42) what the hell does it mean??? Please tell me!

By the way, who WERE those smart guys?? still cant figure it out... stupid humans...

- Tim =)

Reedbeta

May 05, 2005, 11:00 PM

To Read: Adams, Douglas. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Vast

May 06, 2005, 05:25 AM

Is that where i can find about 42?

Thanks.
Tim

PixelClear

May 06, 2005, 09:01 AM

You will know everything about it and beyond... read the book.
If you are lazy you can also watch the movie. Or do both as it's an excellent movie for an excellent book.

Phil

Vast

May 06, 2005, 03:01 PM

Allright thanks!

Regards,
Tim

Vast

May 06, 2005, 03:04 PM

Yep =)

"RETARTED"

Steven Hansen

May 06, 2005, 04:17 PM

To begin:

1. Go to either the bookstore or the library.
2. Pick up a book that claims to teach you everything you need to know in 21 days or less.
3. Read the book religiously for 3 or 4 of the 21 days.
4. At this point, you realize that you have no clue what this simple book is talking about. First, you must learn some other subject.
5. Identify the new subject you need to learn first before you can learn the subject you want to learn.
6. Go to either the bookstore or library.
7. Pick up a book that claims to teach you everything you need to know in 21 days or less.
8. Read the book religiously for about a week.
9. At this point, you should realize that not everything you are reading about is necessarily relevant to your first topic. Put the new book down forever.
10. Go back to the first book, and struggle through the next day or two.
11. At this point you should shout a number of obscenities - feel free to include the ancestry of the person who wrote the book, that of myself, and that of any other member of the human race.
12. After you calm down, you should realize that the pathetic resources included in the CD with the book are insufficient. Choose either "the book track," or "the internet track."

THE BOOK TRACK
1. Buy very expensive resources; the msdn subscription is a good one. You could get by with the student version of the resources, but you need a professional license in order to sell the hugely successful and popular MMORPG that you have planned.
2. Buy books, lots of them. By now, you know basically what it is that you don't know, so get lots of books on the subject.
3. Read the first half of all the books. The second half is too advanced, too boring, and too specific to be relevant to your MMORPG project.
4. After reading about four of these, you will realize that the first half of all those books was almost exactly the same. But, you think you know how things work now.
5. Post invitations at your local university (or in the paper if you like) for people to come work on your highly successful project.
7. When they arrive at the interview, make them provide proof that they are talented and dedicated, then promise them lots of money when your project "goes big."
8. After a while (this varies from person to person, and may include a few web pages, a tentative title, a "complete" design document, some artistic proof-of-concept charcoal drawings, and maybe even a small team) --- you get mad. Things aren't going your way. At this point, you can quietly forget about your massively popular and successful MMORPG if you wish. The next few steps are only for the truly dedicated.
9. Still here? Ok. This is the part where you humble yourself (only a little though, the major humbleness comes later). In order to make your project successful, you will need to do it yourself - at least at the begining, so you decide to do what it takes.
10. Go to school. Computer science is a good degree.
11. Work on personal projects. Bug your teachers about your project specifics. Ignore general workload as much as possible (but try to get reasonable grades).
12. Graduate after a lot of work. At this point you should have plenty of sample code and personal projects.
13. At this point you are smart enough to drive the rest of the way. Get a job (degree comes in handy here). Work on personal projects at home. Whatever. Here is often where the major humbleness comes in... take the job working a million hours a week for $10 an hour is one possibility.

THE INTERNET TRACK
1. Download free, open-source resources.
2. Bug everyone online to no end about how to install and use those resources.
3. Bug everyone online for links to how-to sites.
4. Beg everyone online to debug your sample code and write your code for you.
5. Once you have everything installed, especially some third-party graphics engines, post "Join my MMORPG" requests on as many forums as possible. Ignore or flame anyone who says you should start small. Remind them how rich they will be when your MMORPG "goes big."
6. After a while (this varies from person to person, and may include a few web pages, a tentative title, a "complete" design document, some artistic proof-of-concept charcoal drawings, and maybe even a small team) --- you get mad. Things aren't going your way. At this point, you can quietly forget about your massively popular and successful MMORPG if you wish. The next few steps are only for the truly dedicated.
9. Still here? Ok. This is the part where you humble yourself (only a little though, the major humbleness comes later). In order to make your project successful, you will need to do it yourself - at least at the begining, so you decide to do what it takes.
10. Start a small project - tetris might be good.
11. Work hard. Post relevant questions about the subject on your favorite forum.
12. Play nice, help other people as you start to gain knowledge.
13. Skies the limit from there. This may include being very humble and taking a "real" job while you work on your dream at nights.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Chris

May 06, 2005, 04:27 PM

Uh, well, according to that I'm about at step 10 of the book track, though I definitively skipped steps 5 to 7. Should I restart at step 1 ?

I also think it's really unfair that you don't tell us what step 6 of the book track, and steps 7 and 8 of the internet track are.

Steven Hansen

May 06, 2005, 04:59 PM

Oh man! Steps 6, 7 and 8 of the internet track are a secret. I just, *can't* tell you.

Yes. Absolutely, restart at step 1. The first few steps are the most fun anyway! That's where you feel like somehow, almost magically, you are really going to be able to learn how, in only 21 days, to create a massively successful MMORPG.

PixelClear

May 06, 2005, 06:27 PM

I have my interpretation of steps 7 and 8...

Step 7 is becomming a google junkie... searching random words because, who knows, you might learn something. And you often do. At that point you don't know what you did wrong but you damn know that most of it is to some extent. You then realise that your pseudo design document was bullshit and your charcoad design where really out of focus... You think "How the hell did I get myself into this in the first place?" you think about all the time you wasted to do these totally wrong things... then you enter the depression phase.

step 8 : This is the self destructive part where all your dreams are gone. You realize that there is a higher knowledge to gain and that it will be painfull to attain it. At that point you may decide that you'll never make it. This is okay but when you'll think about those 13 years old whiz kids that are doing these cool stuffs you will drown even deeper in depression. You may also accept your failure, compromize all your expectations and get back on track (After your're completely done with insomnia, painkillers and that you somehow stitched back together the pieces of your personal life of course).

Then you are ready for step 9...

By the way... isn't that thread becomming a troll?

Phil

Vast

May 06, 2005, 06:37 PM

PixelClear:
answer, yes.
No offense, according to ur interpretation of steps 7 and 8 you are a sad, sad person. Sorry. =)

Chris:
Nice! U seem to be very observent, I did not notice any of the steps were gone! lol

Steven Hansen:
where do you get the time?

PixelClear

May 06, 2005, 06:48 PM

Vast:
I followed the book track so never had to go by these doomed steps ;)
This said, this was of courese full of sarcasm and exageration... and not self inspired... Some of you (if not most) must know the frustration of a failed project but life is nice even in failure. The keys is to always have in mind that failing is learning.

Steven Hansen:
Yeah true, where do you get the time?

to myself:
Get away from that computer, go out, now!

Phil

Victor Widell

May 06, 2005, 07:02 PM

PixelClear wrote: The worst of it is that by spending so much time and energy building these machines, they came to forget wat they intended to do with them in the first place...

Worst? I think thats the best part, since the first ones was built to calculate cannon trajectories.

Or maby you just mean calculations in general. Then, yes there is a point.

Vast

May 06, 2005, 07:13 PM

lol,
yes, ofcourse i saw the sarcasm =)

Your thoughts still seemed depressed, even if full of sarcasm...

Regards,
Tim

theAntiELVIS

May 06, 2005, 08:35 PM

I did ALL of these things and my program still doesn't work....

RAZORUNREAL

May 07, 2005, 12:32 AM

Um. It worked for me. I:
-Read the 21 day book for the entire 21 days
-Got another book and read it out of order but for twice as long
-Googled anything and everything (still do)
-Never hassled anyone on a forum without having a specific question, and mostly didn't hit the post button even then
-Knew from the start there was no way anyone with brains would team up with me if I didn't have anything to show (ok, a friend made me some music)
-Never actually wrote a game design
-Got a bugy game engine going (took a very long time)
-Wrote a 3d asteroids game featuring bump mapping, particle effects and stolen artwork inside of a month
-Was still 15 at this point
-Got a really big ego ;)
-Found I had barely scratched the surface

zeppelingirl15

May 07, 2005, 11:32 AM

Haha, I love the comedy that comes from this its great! Everyone has to say something that they think is clever... (Some were)! but anyway You all have been great even if most of what you said helped me in no way, at least I laughed.

Steven Hansen

May 09, 2005, 03:09 PM

First post by zeppelingirl15:
I want to know how the hell to do all this but can someone please explain to me in "COMPLETELY RETARTED" language as to how I even begin. You all can tell how stupid I am, cause I know I misspelled something in that sentence!

Most recent post by zeppelingirl15:
Haha, I love the comedy that comes from this its great! Everyone has to say something that they think is clever... (Some were)! but anyway You all have been great even if most of what you said helped me in no way, at least I laughed.

How could what we said not be addressing your original post. I think we stated in quite "retarted language ... how [you] even begin ... to know how the hell to do all this." Perhaps you wanted more people telling you how stupid you are?

If you want different information, post a different question. You are incredibly stupid. Yes, very stupid. Quite incomprehensibly stupid. etc.

JCash

May 10, 2005, 03:51 AM

zeppelingirl15, you don't happen to have a brother/relative named BRIAN, do you?

Marmakoide

May 10, 2005, 06:28 AM

I'am more optimistic, only 3 steps and a tip.

Step 1/
Close your room, and never get out until your ugly-coded-single-level-Pacman is not finished. To build a Pacman, you could use
- Paintbrush
- A C compiler
- Allegro library

You will meet many problems : Internet is your friend.

Step 2/
Read the code of small projects, try to customize some stuffs.

Step 3/
Do an other simple game (Tetris, Bomberman, etc...) but with many level, a level editor, and cleaner than Step 1.

Tip/
I learn a lot when I try to redo a tutorial with my own coding convention... I learned OpenGL this way.

Vast

May 10, 2005, 10:20 AM

JCash:
leave BRIAN out of this plz, i think he's cool and funny. AND SOMETIMES HE EVEN GIVES GOOD ADVICE =)

THANKS!
HAVE FUN!
TIM

P.S. THE CAPITAL LETTERS ARE FOR SARCASM. IM NOT REALLY YELLING OR ANYTHING

Vast

May 10, 2005, 10:13 PM

@Marmakoide:
Hey another good way to learn is to find a project, strip it down of all the bs (texture loading, window creation and stuff) and look at the good stuff (code ur looking for) helped me study quake source code a lot. Stuff's unreadable, even though it may be betther then other open source projects.

Tim

This thread contains 28 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.