Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Square particles on XGI Volari V8 Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

DXDummy

May 04, 2005, 05:05 PM

I just wanted to share a discovery.

I had a bug where particles were showing up as squares on an XGI Volari V8 card. So I bought one to fix this bug, and sure enough they were square. The color was right, but it was as if only the color were coming through, as though the particles were flat-shaded. This finally led me to examine my texture path.

I had been using texture stage 3 for rendering particles (which worked on Nvidia and ATI cards). Once I changed the vertex and pixel shaders to operate on texture stage 0 for particles, everything looked normal (on the XGI Volari V8).

I would certainly like to know if I was wrong for using an arbitrary texture stage, but regardless, I really just wanted to post this experience in case this saves someone else some trouble.

Axel

May 04, 2005, 06:06 PM

Sounds like a driver bug to me. Did you inform the dev support from XGI?

[-WD40-]

May 04, 2005, 06:41 PM

Someone really bought an XGI Volari? OMG ;)

DXDummy

May 04, 2005, 09:42 PM

You have a point, Axel.

I'm not entirely sure I am correct in assuming I can use whatever texture stage I want. Just the same, I registered as a developer with them just so I could tell them the problem I encountered.

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.