Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Joysticks Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

nullpointer

April 27, 2005, 08:55 AM

I am going to be working a way to benchmark force feedback joysticks, so I am looking for any studies that have already done or in the process of doing that.

I am looking for your opinions on joysticks, be it force feedback or not. What do you like about joysticks, what do you not like about joysticks.

Chris

April 27, 2005, 09:04 AM

I don't like joysticks that call themselves "analog", but are really digital. That is, movement resolution is important.

Rui Martins

April 27, 2005, 09:13 AM

I don't like joysticks which have it's output dependent or crippled by mechanic failures. This is way I prefer optical Joysticks.

I really hate joysticks which have a torsion control in the main handle, i.e. that force you to twist your wrist for a third axis.

Must have a trimmer for every analog axis.

Good fire/trigger, without being too hard or too soft, but should provide some feedback, like a click noise or sensation.

Anatomy of joysticks is very important for the hardcore gamer, not just look cool!
One of the major points is, the handle should fit confortably into the hand, and it should have a hand rest, or else you can get really tired wile playing.
Also the distance from the handle to the base (table) should be as low as possible, to prevent your arm from hanging, while you play.

A good grip on the table is also very desirable, expecially on high action/stress games. this of course is fundamental for stearing wheels and similar devices.

Durability is usually also a concern.

As a programmer, I deslike joysticks, expecially digital ones, which can't return a smooth value, or wiggle when not actually moving. They make supporting them a pain, because you have to filter all that crap, which takes control from the user.

Last but Not least, Joysticks really need to define and follow a standard. The current mess of drivers for each and everything is a pain. Although Operating systems API shild us somewhat from this, there still are many odities for our annoyance. (Force feedback is one of these current annoyances, nothing is standard).

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.