Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Opcode? Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Dave

April 26, 2005, 06:36 PM

I've been looking at integrating opcode into my current code base, but I've been unable to find any decent documentation for it, but appart from that, it seems to fit my requirements very well.

I guess it must be fairly easy to use because of its proliferation but I'd rather not have to reverse engineer stuff to use it.

Part of its populartiy must be its inclusion with ODE. Is it worth taking the hit for integrating ODE rather than just opcode to make it easier in the long run?

Does anyone have any experience using it with ODE or as an independant library?

Cheers

Dave

erkokite

April 26, 2005, 06:51 PM

If you're going to integrate a physics engine into your code, I recommend trueaxis(www.trueaxis.com) over ode. It's got a lot more features than ode, it's faster, and it's easy to code. As far as just detecting collisions, I have heard good things about Opcode, as opposed to coldet, which I have heard bad things about. In my humble opinion, it's probably worth integrating a physics engine, such as ode or trueaxis, instead of just a collision detection library. It all depends on what you are doing. If you need physics or will need in the future, use a physics engine. If you only need collision detection, then there is no point in using a full-fledged physics engine.

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.