Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Game Design & Programming / re: something i have been working on Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

leven

April 25, 2005, 02:28 AM

This is a program I have been developing for about two years now. Itís called The Game Machine you can if you want download a free copy of the most stable version at my website www.pandorasparadox.com I would like to here about what you thin. As far as features it supports

AVIís both in game and as part of a 2D menu
3DS files
Quake III MD3 files
JPG BMP/DIB TGA
LUA scripts (the program will write for you but a lot more stuff can be used when writing your self)
OpenGL rendering
Plug-ins
Basic Primitives (Cubes, Cylinders, Pyramids)
Multiple levels perfile
And most important user firendly
there is going to be a lot more to come but i would like to know what you think and maybe how i can make it bettor

b34r

April 25, 2005, 03:29 AM

Don't take it bad, I'm trying to help...

There is so many mispellings on your pages that I first thought you were trying to mock-up the average company web design... It seems not after all :(
The website requires Flash with no fallback, it's really hard on the eye with too many things to focus on while nothing really stands out. To sum it up, a lot of noise.

As for the game machine... It honestly looks terribly ugly, completely outdated and buggy (you might want to put the character on the floor, at least on the screenshots)...
If you are going for a plain gouraud based power demonstration (sic) try to make it consistent. Do not texture the character, it just makes it clear that you had nobody to texture the background.

You might want to reconsider the color scheme of the application aswel as the interface. The whole thing really gives the feeling that you spent more time on the website than on the product...

Good luck anyway!

juhnu

April 25, 2005, 04:19 AM

I couldn't get "read more" link working..how did you get in to the game machine info page?

juhani

b34r

April 25, 2005, 01:23 PM

You can access it via the product tab.

Wernaeh

April 25, 2005, 01:56 PM

Well, I guess the website is quite good, graphically speaking.

However, if it is to properly represent your commercial (!) product, you should really try to get rid of all those spelling errors. They make the entire company look very unprofessional, which of course won't attract anyone to buy your product.

The program could use some polishing at least on the graphics parts, which is nowhere near that on the webpage. If you really want to market it, you should perhaps scratch your monetary reserves together and hire a professional artist to do some example graphics.

Please also consider that - compared to other "for the artist", affordable game creation sets, your set somehow lacks features. See http://www.conitec.de/a4info.htm for a wellknown example competitor product.
Also note that there are freeware programs with almost the same functionality as yours, so you should perhaps add on that, too.

Unlike b34r, I think it is okay to require Flash for a webpage, since nearly anyone has got it these days. You provide an installing link, and Flash is not all that heavyweight that it is a problem for non-broadband connections.

Also, consider that Flash (usually) gives a more consistent look across various browser brands than pure html.

However, I partially agree that the website looks some kind of overloaded. If you need animations outside the logo area, please only place them next to headings, not somewhere in the body of single items.

I do hope this did not sound too harsh.

It does not happen too often that 2 year - one man projects actually produce any output, and it is also much work to create a working website. Finally, not everyone has the courage to market his products afterwards.

So good luck on your endeavours,
Cheers,
- Wernaeh

This thread contains 5 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.